Perfect Recall Training Using Ecollar

My dogs did occassionally forget the stim in the first 8 weeks. Turning it up works well and they do it less and less. They remember that you have more power and stop running off. This is not a setback, just a little test from the dogs to see if you really can get them back.

I now use my voice, if I don't get immediated response, I use a short stim, then a long stim and then I turn it up. The dogs are gradually getting more and more perfect :love:

Thats good to know. Thanks for the info. Its been great reading of your success with your dogs, gives me hope for my terror :rolleyes:

We will keep up with our training, but already im so impressed with what we have managed to achieve. I tried lots of things to work on her recall, toys, food, long line, obedience school, TOT but the little bugger isnt interested in anything else if it means an unauthorised romp next door with some roos or geese :rofl:

Just have to remember to continue training the sits and SAAD as well to reinforce that compliance is what turns the stim off

Will keep you posted as we progress, hopefully all continues to go well :thumbsup:

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just thought I'd bump this topic up again, and add in my own story.

I finally managed to save up to get an e-collar for my gsd. She is completely obsessed with other dogs, and thinks another dog running is a perfect item of prey!

I was sick of not being able to take her out without always having to avoid other dogs (if I don't let her rush straight at them with a loose lead, she growls cos she feels restricted and wants to chase them) and not letting her off lead unless at my horse where she's much better behaved (there are dogs there, but she knows them well and is much more relaxed around them).

We've been using the e-collar for a few weeks now, but haven't progressed as quickly as others on here as I had exams when it first arrived. Her recall in the back yard under low to medium distraction is going really well, as is her SAAD, just need to add more distractions.

I finally managed to save up to get an e-collar for my gsd. She is completely obsessed with other dogs, and thinks another dog running is a perfect item of prey!

I was sick of not being able to take her out without always having to avoid other dogs (if I don't let her rush straight at them with a loose lead, she growls cos she feels restricted and wants to chase them) and not letting her off lead unless at my horse where she's much better behaved (there are dogs there, but she knows them well and is much more relaxed around them).

We've been using the e-collar for a few weeks now, but haven't progressed as quickly as others on here as I had exams when it first arrived. Her recall in the back yard under low to medium distraction is going really well, as is her SAAD, just need to add more distractions.

I understand how you feel. Mica thinks other dogs are the best play things in the world!

I need to work more on her SAAD as she always runs a few steps towards me whenever I say her name or give her a stim, takes her a few seconds to work out what I want.

I am slowly adding distractions with her too but the issue Im having is at this stage all distractions seem to hold a very high value and I lose her focus quite quickly. But repetition and perserverance (sp?) shes already come a long way so Im very happy.

Hope it continues to go well for you MM :thumbsup:

I understand how you feel. Mica thinks other dogs are the best play things in the world!

I need to work more on her SAAD as she always runs a few steps towards me whenever I say her name or give her a stim, takes her a few seconds to work out what I want.

I am slowly adding distractions with her too but the issue Im having is at this stage all distractions seem to hold a very high value and I lose her focus quite quickly. But repetition and perserverance (sp?) shes already come a long way so Im very happy.

Hope it continues to go well for you MM :cool:

Zali's sort of over the playing with other dogs so much now (she will but gets rough very quickly), but is obsessed with chasing dogs. It's a pain, and very intimidating for the other dog (exactly why she's not allowed off lead yet). I have a similar problem to you with distractions, they are either very low, or quite high, but I've managed to work out a couple in between with Steve.

My girls working level is 4!! I was amazed at how low it is, but it's definitely it.

Zali's SAAD is probably her best exercise, she sits instantly, and then sits there looking all proud! Can't wait to get out of the house and into the "real world"!

Mine is going slowly as well, mostly because if I work a twelve hour shift I am usually too tired to do it after I work with Montu :thumbsup:

Yep, uni placement with work on top is what's delayed us in progressing as fast as bp.

Hope it continues to go well for you MM :laugh:

Zali's sort of over the playing with other dogs so much now (she will but gets rough very quickly), but is obsessed with chasing dogs. It's a pain, and very intimidating for the other dog (exactly why she's not allowed off lead yet). I have a similar problem to you with distractions, they are either very low, or quite high, but I've managed to work out a couple in between with Steve.

My girls working level is 4!! I was amazed at how low it is, but it's definitely it.

Zali's SAAD is probably her best exercise, she sits instantly, and then sits there looking all proud! Can't wait to get out of the house and into the "real world"!

Mine is going slowly as well, mostly because if I work a twelve hour shift I am usually too tired to do it after I work with Montu :laugh:

Yep, uni placement with work on top is what's delayed us in progressing as fast as bp.

Wow 4 - is it a Dogtra collar? Micas level is 16.

I wish Mica would sit instantly, even at puppy school and when doing obedience it takes her a few seconds to sit. She moves in slow motion. Her drop on the other hand is fast and literaly a 'drop'

I took her over to my brothers the other day to do some training with his dog as a distraction. Mica is obsessed wtih Rupert (brothers dog). She was soooo good, came every time I called her. She would break off play and come to me immediately. Didnt try SAAD, will be focusing on it more in the future. I was so pleased, I guess we are making progress. :laugh:

A question for Midol as well, are you both doing the distance training through k9 Force? If so would you reccomend it?

Yep, it's a dogtra.

I'm pretty happy with her sits, but we haven't done anything on drop yet.

We also haven't graduated to other dogs yet, as they're a bit too high on the distraction level at the moment.

Yep, I'm doing the distance learning through k9 force. I would recommend it, it's been great to be able to ask Steve if I'm unsure of anything, and make sure we're on the right track.

A question for Midol as well, are you both doing the distance training through k9 Force? If so would you reccomend it?

I'm not, but I did a lesson with him. So far I've had no questions on it as he explained it so well.

I would have done that if I was close enough! :laugh:

The biggest problem we've had is getting good contact with the probes, resulting in her initially having a high "working" level over 20.

I would have done that if I was close enough! :laugh:

The biggest problem we've had is getting good contact with the probes, resulting in her initially having a high "working" level over 20.

Yeah I had a big problem with that to start with, but Steve helped me sort it out. It was very frustrating at the time though, one day good contact the next couldnt get anything. Im sure it was operator error :laugh:

Ive been thinking of the distance course as Im a little stuck over adding distractions and thought it would be handy to get some more guidance. Maybe help me identify a progression of distractions and work out a program that I can work on from here. Even just to get some validation that we are on the right track (if I am) would be good.

Mica seems to go from no distraction to major distraction in a split second, got to find a middle ground to work from :laugh:

Have you got any family members that she likes? I used family members that hadn't just got home as a lowish level, then when they just got home as a medium to high level (depending on who it was). And when Zali was a little bit interested in sniffing something.

We just got very close to our high level distraction tonight! I had her outside, and she saw something in a tree, which could have been a possum or cat (going by the deep throated growling and hackles up all along her back). She got a bit distracted, but still knew she had to pay attention to me and come back when called.

I'm hoping to get out in public shortly so we can start building our distractions out there.

• 1 month later...

My girl is going really well. We're up to pretty much her maximum distraction level away from home, and she can now be safely off lead around other dogs, and I can be confident she'll come back when I call her. She's also become way more responsive to me without any stim out in public, and her obsession with other dogs has decreased (although she still has too high a value for other dogs and cats!).

The best thing is that she can now have off lead exercise, so she's a lot happier and comes back from walks nice and tired!!

My girl is going really well. We're up to pretty much her maximum distraction level away from home, and she can now be safely off lead around other dogs, and I can be confident she'll come back when I call her. She's also become way more responsive to me without any stim out in public, and her obsession with other dogs has decreased (although she still has too high a value for other dogs and cats!).

The best thing is that she can now have off lead exercise, so she's a lot happier and comes back from walks nice and tired!!

:rofl: Well done!

Mica is doing well. I wouldnt say we are up to maximum distraction level yet, due to my laziness I guess. She can go all over the property with me, confidently off lead, in fact she doesnt even seem to have the urge to wander any more. She comes camping and to friends BBQs, around other dogs off lead and is perfectly behaved. I no longer have to use stims unless there is a distraction :eek: but getting there. She no longer harasses geese, or ducks in a dam :rofl: The other day at the park in town we were doing some off lead training, 2 small fluffies came running at her all attitude. Mica ran at them as she normaly does, but stopped short and came back when i called her so Im pretty happy about that. Strange dogs were at the high end of her distraction level. Oh and her recalls are generally running to me fast and keen.

I still cant get any reliability around echidnas :eek:

But all in all, shes happier and Im happier!