Poop Question

~Chelsea~

I didn't think this fitted into the other poop question

We have an 8 week old Lab. She has been with us only 2 nights. Last Night she didn't cry :laugh: & we slept in until 9am :laugh: (probably makes up for the lack of sleep the night before )so she had 7-8 hours by herself as DH went to bed late. Anyway this Morning I was greeted with 4 poo's :laugh: Is this normal?? They were all fairly solid, she also did 2 during the day.

I am feeding her what the breeder was feeding & that is Mince boiled up & rolled oates added into it, soy milk & Pal Puppy dry food. I am planning on changing this in a few weeks to uncooked mince & a better dry food.

She is drinking plenty of water (it has been hot here) so I am not worried about her being dehydrated it's more just the amount that is coming out of her!

My thought is that she saved them up until it was quiet as we have 3 Children & another dog that followed her a bit yesterday but since its been a while since we had a puppy I can't remember how much they poop.

Thanks

Chelsea

Ditch the rolled oats and the soy milk, dogs cannot process cereals efficiently and they simple act as a filler and contribute to the volume of faeces. Purchase a good dry food (Eagle Pack, Nutro, Royal Canin) and feed the mince raw. Add some chicken necks or chicken wings, but make sure she is supervised when you feed them just in case she's inclined to swallow them too quickly. Make sure that you introduce these changes gradually over a week or so to avoid tummy upsets.

I cannot imagine why anyone would recommend giving a puppy soy milk.

Tummy upsets can be normal due to the major change of a new home, but that's too much poo!

Are you feeding the correct amount? Feed too much and it all comes out the other end. Try reducing the anount as well as what Miranda suggests.

Labs always think they're starving, but feeding more is really bad for them.

You want pups to grow nice and slowly and stay lean to avoid health and joint problems later on.

I found raw foods (bones, mince, chicken necks etc.) helped with the too many poo issues I initially had with our large breed pup.

Thanks for the Replies,

Last Night was 2 poo's inside & she did one as soon as DH took her outside this morning. I have told the kids that they aren't to feed her dry food at all (I caught them feeding her yesterday!) So that may have contributed to it as well. I also gave her her mince earlier in the day & her dry food later so hopefully that will help.

I have been looking into the Royal Cannin food & will check out the others too.

Thanks Again

Chelsea

Thanks for the Replies,

Last Night was 2 poo's inside & she did one as soon as DH took her outside this morning. I have told the kids that they aren't to feed her dry food at all (I caught them feeding her yesterday!) So that may have contributed to it as well. I also gave her her mince earlier in the day & her dry food later so hopefully that will help.

I have been looking into the Royal Cannin food & will check out the others too.

Thanks Again

Chelsea

There is a Labrador formula in the Royal Canin dry food, Super Coat is good enough and I know a Lab Breeder who feeds her dogs "Bonnie" another Dry food product. She says Labs need the extra protien and "Bonnie" has what she considers they need. I have also been told years ago that you shouldn't feed your dog Soy products as they are not good for dogs and more recently found out that because they are of a bean product, produce gas.

If you want to give milk, it should be the Pet Milk which can be easily bought from a supermarket as can Super coat, just make sure you buy a Puppy formula.

I worked in a Boarding kennel many years ago, and I Show and Trial Dogs, very interesting when you come across dog droppings, you can usually tell what they are fed!

Take care,

Do your homework!

Zhara