Sloppy Poo

Bakari (6 month old Ridgeback) has had "sloppy" poos the last couple of days.

We went camping and he got into another dogs tinned food (he could stretch further on his run than I thought) so I figured that is what gave him the upset tummy. But since then it's been hit and miss - I find some that are just slop and others that are firm enough to hold the shape but aren't nuggets like normal. (really gross I know Sorry!) Neither of the other dogs that went are sick at all.

I've been trying to bland down his food since yesterday (mixing in rice with his dry - Hills Science) (I am swapping over to Eagle Pack once his tummy is right again).

He poo'ed out a paddlepop stick he ate the other day so I don't think it's a blockage, He's still playing, drinking, eating the same as normal. Doesn't seem to be anymore lethargic than he normally is when it's raining.

I've just been reading some of the previous posts and a few have mentioned to not feed him a meal or 2 then try bland stuff?

Or should I get him to the vet tomorrow?

My puppy had a bad case of the runs for a few days.. took her to the vet and it was put own to her diet changing (breeder used pedigree and i had her on science diet) the vet told me to feed her boiled chicken and rice for a few days... it worked thankfully.. maybe try put your dog on boiled chicken and rice to try and settle his stomach.. just til u can take him to the vet

edited to add didn't realise it has been posted already

Edited by mattyandnat1

If it were me I would be having the dog vet checked ASAP as there are lots of bugs around at the moment due to this ever changing weather we are having. Until you can get the dog to a Vet I would only feed small meals of boiled chicken breat fillet(skin off ) and boiled rice.The ice cream stick may have irritated/injured his gut lining so make sure you mention that to the Vet

Better to err on the side of caution than to regret it later if it is something serious IMHO

why wait until Monday to take to the Vet?

If he has already had sloppy poos for a few days prior to you posting you need to get this seen to ASAP .(mine would have been Vet checked by now but I like to err on the side of caution rather than something drastic happen)

I am not trying to alarm you but that ice cream stick may have caused damage to the gut or bowel and if left untreated you will have one very sick dog on your hands and a very large Vet bill .

At least ring your Vet today for advice.

I broke my elbow late last year lifting him out of the back of the car (because I was told it's not good for his growing bones to jump out) and had to have surgery etc so I can't drive and my OH was at work yesterday and all friends that I could ask to take a dog in their cars were on a camping trip for the weekend.

Took him in today - vet said it had something to do with his Anal glands and poos were probably sloppy because of the mucus and to keep him on the bland diet for a few more days - OH didn't listen too much after she said that he was ok!

Thanks everyone for your comments!

Edited by Russ_Ren