Leaving Meat Out To "cool" To Room Temp

WinGus

My little "princess" has decided that she no longer likes to eat cold food straight from the fridge (apparently I have heard that this is common for little dogs - why?). Would leaving her food out to "warm" to room temperature be hygenic for her, and the humans? She is fed barf, which I make up every night with either meat or fish and an ice cube of vege mix (which is normally defrosted in the fridge every morning).

As long as it's not left any LONGER than it needs to come up to room temp, it won't hurt.

The problem is if you forget you've put it out ...

I sit the baggie in some warm water for a few minutes to take the chill off - although mine like it cold in the hot weather..

I got all my dog meat frozen in portions and I get it out the fridge every morning before I go to work and just leave it to defrost, its usually well defrosted when I get hime but the dogs have never had a problem with it.

Yes, you can leave meat out to warm up to room temperature. Make sure it is covered and not left out too long. One or two hours is usually fine, depending on how cold it is. If it is frozen you can leave it out longer to thaw.

My dogs eat their dinner straight from the freezer but the cat is too much of a princess for that. I leave it out to reach room temperature and have never had any problems. She is finally accepting fridge temperature though so for me it is now easy enough to stick it in the fridge to defrost.

I can't see a problem. My dogs bury chicken necks and bones and dig them up a couple of days later and chew on them. If that doesn't harm them I don't think food left on a bench will.

Moggy

Yes, but burying the bones/meat helps to preserve it. Leaving meat on a bench at room temperature causes bacteria (both good and bad) to multiply at a very fast rate.

IMO this isn't worth the (small but real) risk. My dogs are fed raw...their meals are defrosted in the fridge - never at room temperature. If I'm in a hurry, two minutes on defrost in the microwave oven at a time until they're thawed but never warm - this usually takes no more than four minutes. Chicken poses the greater risk according to everything I've read and two trusted vets. :rolleyes: