Training As A Meal

I've gotta say I did try this, dividing my dog's meal up into portions and feeding her them from various pockets during a training session each morning. It didn't particularly increase her drive to work and made no diff to rest of our training because she already has huge drive to work for a hose but I wanted to see if I could reinforce this. I found other ways that worked better for my dog. BUT, I think you're totally on the right track. You don't want a fat puppy and every time you do this, you are reinforcing who is leader and where the food is coming from and associating the training with something great... food :laugh: Anyone who thinks this is wrong, imho needs their head read. Look at K9's triangle of temptation. Isn't this just a variant in some ways? Go for it. If it's helping you then GOOD ON YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh:

Incidentally, I strike a bit of a prob with tracking as I have taught tracking with food in footstep and go thru a lot of food every second morning. Had to get creative with feeding habits to make sure I didn't get a fattie either LOL.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may try this with Diesel to try to get more enthusiasm out of him, although having varied the amount of food he gets I haven't noticed him working better if he hasn't been fed.

I have done the spitting food thing :laugh: so normally use cheese as treats as they are the only treat I could handle putting in my mouth! Not a balanced meal so would not use this if I decide to use his meals, would probably use dry food.

Thanks for all your inputs. :( And I'm glad some of you are giving it a go and seeing what you get. :p

With small dogs... A chicken neck is a meal! So it gets a bit tricky feeding raw. But I've made a breakthrough! I can do diced beef in the kitchen with the tap nearby to immediately wash my hands after training. :eek:

I was a bit taken away with the other forum and the furious declaration of me as 'cruel'... Apparently, they know this breed better than me and they know it is harmful. :( How or why they wouldn't say. :D What a crock.