Monthly Flea Treatment

Norskgra

I know that flea treatments have been discussed many times but I am at work and don't have time to do a search.

I have been using Advantix on our dogs and Advantage on the cats. Although I haven't found any fleas on the dogs lately they are scratching madly and chewing themselves so I think I may need to change flea treatments, both for the dogs and cats. I think it is the cats giving the dogs fleas.

I am still waiting for one of my girls to come into season and she will be mated, so I need something safe for her.

What would you suggest I change to?

Edited by Norskgra

I wouldn't be changing anything till you figure out whether it is fleas or an allergy. Fleas are pretty easy to see on a cat if you bathe them and look while they are still wet.

My dogs are scratchy atm, and I know they are flea free, but we have bad mozzies atm; I am presuming they must be getting bitten when they are outside; I know I am :champagne:

I wouldn't be changing anything till you figure out whether it is fleas or an allergy. Fleas are pretty easy to see on a cat if you bathe them and look while they are still wet.

My dogs are scratchy atm, and I know they are flea free, but we have bad mozzies atm; I am presuming they must be getting bitten when they are outside; I know I am :champagne:

I am pretty sure it is fleas. Nothing has changed for the dogs and the only dogs that are scratching are the ones that come into contact with the cats. Our cats are long haired ones and hate baths with a passion.

Both Advantix & Advantage have the active ingredient Imidacloprid so I would find it difficult to believe that one is working on the dogs but not the cats. I too would be ruling out allergy although it does sound fairly typical of fleas.

Perhaps get some Capstar tablets and dose the cats as well as the dogs. Capstar is a great product and is safe to use in conjunction with any spot on. Capstar will start killing the adult fleas within 30mins of ingestion so if it is fleas, should give the dogs some relief fairly quickly.

Advantix is also safe for pregnant & lactating bitches so you wouldn't need to change your flea prevention at all.

The Advantix is working on the outside dogs but not te inside/outside ones. The Advantage is the same.

Rysup - Only one of the dogs that is scratching is dropping coat, the others aren't. They are not showing any other signs. I will give them a good going over today bto check if they do have any fleas. I have bought some Raid Flea Killer to do the house and if I see any fleas, I will get some capstar

I think Advantage is probably the best flea preventative on the market.

Mozzies are shocking at the moment, do you think it could be that? Although I think a Mozzie getting to skin level on your dogs may be difficult?

Capstar is a great option.

Good Luck!

Edited by sas