Advice On New Puppy

Staffyluv

After years of listening to me carry on about BYB dogs my son and his GF have bought a Jack Russel x Pom... They picked her up last week and she was 7 weeks old.

They have been asking me heaps of questions about when to do this and that - well Ollie is 10 years old and I cannot remember - needless to say the 'breeder' is of no help at all.

Worming? when to start and how often for a pup?

Flea/tick treatments? how soon can these be administered?

Bathing? how soon can she have a bath?

Desexing? She is so tiny, how soon can she be desexed (I am paying for it, so there is one less accident in the world)?

Many thanks for your help

J

Worming? when to start and how often for a pup? I have always been told and also believe that puppies should be wormed every 2 weeks from 2 weeks until 12 weeks, then every month until they are 6 months and then every 3 months.

Flea/tick treatments? how soon can these be administered? It depends on the brand. Some say it can be used on 8 week old pups and others say 12 weeks.

Bathing? how soon can she have a bath? She should be able to have a bath now. Our babies have always had at least 2 baths by the time they are 8 weeks old.

Desexing? She is so tiny, how soon can she be desexed (I am paying for it, so there is one less accident in the world)? I would discuss this with a vet. It also depends on whether you believe in early desexing or not. I have never had any experience with small breeds.

Edited by Norskgra

At least it is a puppy and they did not make you a Grandma LOL

Any chance of pics? I am extremely curious as to what that breed cross would look like

Firstly - the bolded print is not a joke.. I am still seriously holding my breath about this one. OH reckons she has put on that much weight that they are going to 'surprise' us at Christmas with some 'happy news' (NOT)...

I will try and get some pics - she is a cute little thing (then again all puppies are) - she reminds me more of a Pom than a Jack.

Cheers

:) Yikes, what a cross. Is it turbocharged?

Sivaro desexes her toy and mini poodles before going to their new homes after her experience with Leo being made a puppy farm sire :D.

I'd guess pup would be roughly toy poodle size? Many opinions about early desexing, but as long as it was done < 6months be OK? (sorry, no experience with entire female dogs).

In NSW it will be much cheaper for them to register the dog with council, too, if desexed before 6 months.

It saves about $100, so maybe they can help you out with the cost of desexing since you're saving them so much money :love:?

Ollie was at the vets this morning for his monthly lump checkup and I asked the vet about it. He said he would not desex her until she was six months old. And to make sure that she is not taken out at the moment because he has had lots of parvo cases the last two weeks. Just in case you know anyone in the Canberra/Queanbeyan area with pups.

Thanks

I recently had my girl desexed (6 month puppy), my biggest question to the vet about waiting till six months was, she can't come into season before then can she? I was terrified about her coming into season before I got her desexed. A neighbours dog just about lives at my place, can climb through the fence.

Just picturing puppy and new baby - what a combination. I have a puppy and a two year old toddler and that is bad enough. Sounds like you could be having a fun christmas! :o

I recently had my girl desexed (6 month puppy), my biggest question to the vet about waiting till six months was, she can't come into season before then can she? I was terrified about her coming into season before I got her desexed. A neighbours dog just about lives at my place, can climb through the fence.

Just picturing puppy and new baby - what a combination. I have a puppy and a two year old toddler and that is bad enough. Sounds like you could be having a fun christmas! :o

A bit of background; the other ladies were joking with me because the GF is only 18 and wants a baby - from all accounts number one son does not want a baby. GF gave up a good job three days after they moved in together, so she could stay home and look after number one son...

A baby is the last thing we want to hear about at Christmas - I cannot and would not condone an 18 year old pregnancy...

The girls were commenting with tongue in cheek, so to speak :eek:

Ollie was at the vets this morning for his monthly lump checkup and I asked the vet about it. He said he would not desex her until she was six months old. And to make sure that she is not taken out at the moment because he has had lots of parvo cases the last two weeks. Just in case you know anyone in the Canberra/Queanbeyan area with pups.

Thanks

Oh dear...I am picking up a puppy on 27th Dec....and I live in Canberra....so I have to keep the puppy at home for the next 4 weeks then?...(Sorry to get Off topic)