Bench Surfing

Hi all,

I have an almost 1 year old standard poodle who has taken up bench surfing.

I'm wondering how to stop him putting his front paws up on our kitchen bench and dining room table?

Usually we'll be sitting on the couch and looking over to find a poodle up tall on the kitchen bench looking like it's a perfectly normal place for a poodle to be, I can't think of a positive reinforcement way of stopping this behaviour.

Thanks,

Java's mum

Java,this is a self rewarding behaviour.There are different options availible.I know hinsight is cheap but its always easiest to supervise Pups when inside and not let undesirable behaviours take root.

As long as it makes the dog feel good he will keep doing it,so one has to change it to a negative for the Dog.Not all these options may work and a few different approaches may be needed.

Options are to put a barrier round the Bench on the top of the bench so he cannot get room to for his paws to support himself.Barrier on the Floor to keep him back off the Bench.Only trouble with Barriers is that once they are removed,then there is a big chance the unwanted behaviour will resume.

Other option is to put Dog on Collar and reasonably long lead.I of course do not know the lay out of your house,but I assume there are nooks and crannies where you can watch the dog from but remain out of his sight.

Timing and vigilance is required here.Feed the Lead out so the Dog can move around.Let him wander off but watch from your hidden or obscured position.Sooner or later he will go to put his paws on the bench or table.Immeditately that he does place his paws on bench or table give him a shock.A Shock is twofold as it is a jolt on the collar and an interuption to the flow of drive.

When he backs off from the bench or table, watch him as he will try again.When he try"s again repeat the process.Your conditioning in his mind a negative association to the bench and table. Tony

Beyond the advice Tony has provided, there is also the "Scat Mat". I haven't needed to use one myself, but in essence it is a light mat that gives an unpleasant sensation to the dog when touched. The advantage being that some dogs learn to not surf benches when you're there, but learn it's ok to do so when you're not. It either runs off battery, or mains via a transformer. If you google "Scat Mat" I think you'll find more details easily enough.

Aaargh, Vinnie is a bench surfer, but all it takes if for me to walk into the kitchen and he's down in a shot. I dont even have to speak :offtopic: so he knows he's not to do it.

I just have to keep an eye on him and he gets told off and sent out of the kitchen when I catch him.

In saying that he never has the chance to do it often, but given the opportunity he has a sneak peak of whats cooking :rofl:

My new pup coming in Feb will definately be a very sneaky bench surfer if mum and the breed in general is anything to go by so I look forward to this happening more often. Just have to make sure there are no inviting goodies on the bench.

Our standard poodles must be about the same age and mine has just started this bad habit after I've reduced his food intake (breeder suggested he lose about 1kg).

I see his great, woolly head appear over the breakfast bar.....

The other night he actually go the lid off a saucepan and ate the OH's dinner (I was other side of the house).

Soon as I see him enter the kitchen, I watch more closely- as soon as paws come up it's, "Ugghh Ughh" in a low, growly voice and he gets down immediately.

He "knows" I disapprove. A poodle picks this up quickly. You could also ban the dog from the kitchen entirely.

Both my dogs are sent outside when the family are eating as they tend to sit in front and beg.

Ditto if they're begging while I prepare dinner.

Best thing is prevention- leave nothing out on benchtops that they will want to eat or lick.

Java's Mum:

Usually we'll be sitting on the couch and looking over to find a poodle up tall on the kitchen bench looking like it's a perfectly normal place for a poodle to be, I can't think of a positive reinforcement way of stopping this behaviour.

The behaviour is self rewarding. That's why a purely positive approach would be difficult. Go for the next best thing.. a mild aversive and a reward for getting down.

I'd be telling him "OFF" in a firm voice and calling him away, rewarding for coming to you. If he doesn't come, go to him and take him "OFF' by his collar. You need to communicate your displeasure clearly.

To quote Susan Garratt, "positive is NOT permissive". All dogs need boundaries that clearly define unacceptable behaviour. With such a big smart dog, I'd be putting them in place ASAP.

It goes without saying that the less rewarding he finds the behaviour (ie no food to find on bench) the less he will do it.

I must be a bad trainer, mind you my dogs to not counter surf, as correction when young was applied.

But today, two of my labs remained in the house, while I was crating two others, I looked up and one was up on the kitchen bench, looking through the window.

Thanks for the info everyone, I'll give it a go.

Part of the problem is that it's not just food driven - he'll go for junk mail, any white piece of paper, dish sponge.... and he seems to have developed a perchant for bookmarks - while I was in cleaning my teeth the other night he pulled the bookmark out of my book, left it next to the book and took himself off to bed like nothing had happened - at least he's stopped running off with the library books.....

:laugh: They're funny, aren't they?

This is my first standard poodle (other is a mini) and I think he's unusually mellow.

Is your dog getting enough attention and stimulation at other times?

All poodles need this and some more than others, perhaps?

All I do is make it clear to both dogs that they aren't allowed to get up on benches or tables. They know what "uggh, uggh" or "down" (deep, authoritative voice) means.

I trust them as much as children - if I can't see them and it's quiet, there's trouble!

If I can't supervise them (in a general sort of way, not 100%) I put them outside.