Balanced Trainers

Depends on your style of training!!! None of the options are incorrect.

say the command, correct, say the command then correct again until the dog complies. If the dog complies too slowly then they still get a correction. Should become a race between dog and correction so the dog sits faster etc trying to beat the correction.

This is but one method, albeit one that is being done away with by many trainers these days. It also depends on what you are training the dog for and the type of reliability you require.

I also believe that the command should always be given in a pleasant/neutral voice, regardless of whether your correction was physical or verbal. I cannot stand "growling" commands at dogs...very Khoehler.

No.3:

Cue

Reinforcement if correct

Repeat cue if not.

If i have to repeat more than 3 times i would be asking why - most likely answer is the environment is too distracting (either in a positive or negative way) and this is what needs to be worked on rather than the sit.

Great thanks Rachelle, but I was actually questioning Janba
With a correction I would allow enough time for the dog to perform the behaviour but the reward has to come as soon as the dog responds to the correction.

Wanted to know what in her opinon is the allowance for time. as to me it might be 0.5 sec and to her 10 sec. and for some it might be 3 minutes :)

It depends on what I am training and what discipline. In herding the correction is immediate and so is the praise. I doubt in any discipline, other than tracking, I would wait 10 seconds, probably closer to a second maximum with the older ones and a maximum of 2 with the pup.

I don't work on my dogs 'beating the correction' and I rarely train my dogs on lead except for tracking.

No.3:

Cue

Reinforcement if correct

Repeat cue if not.

If i have to repeat more than 3 times i would be asking why - most likely answer is the environment is too distracting (either in a positive or negative way) and this is what needs to be worked on rather than the sit.

Thanks all. I use 1 and 3.

NW, what about types of praise for the correct responses after a second cue repeat, or do you feel the relief of pressure is adequate?

NW, what about types of praise for the correct responses after a second cue repeat, or do you feel the relief of pressure is adequate?

Depends on the situation:

Did the dog hear me in the first place?

What other distractions are around?

Could the dog be sick or injured?

Is it an emergency and a response is needed now?

Is it training for a sport?

Am i asking them to lie down because they are infront of the TV but they are busy being focused on the snake in the tank next to the TV?????

Usually would just give a low level verbal praise eg "thankyou".

If it was an emergency then the relief of pressure would probably be adequate because the cue would have had some urgency within it.

I will often release after the dog has complied from a mutiple cued response and give the chance to get it first go and receive a bigger reward (particularly if there is a distraction).

Depends on the situation:

Did the dog hear me in the first place?

What other distractions are around?

Could the dog be sick or injured?

Is it an emergency and a response is needed now?

Is it training for a sport?

Am i asking them to lie down because they are infront of the TV but they are busy being focused on the snake in the tank next to the TV?????

Usually would just give a low level verbal praise eg "thankyou".

If it was an emergency then the relief of pressure would probably be adequate because the cue would have had some urgency within it.

I will often release after the dog has complied from a mutiple cued response and give the chance to get it first go and receive a bigger reward (particularly if there is a distraction).

Better come over early on the 16th. :laugh::o We need discussions. I am more of a practical trainer. Too stupid to understand your reply. Show and tell Sunday, we can call it. Talking dog training is fun, doing it, is better.

OMG LL..by the end of the day you may be a balanced or maybe unbalanced trainer :laugh:

NW..you can supply the coffee.....we will need it.

:) Looking forward to Sunday. I feel sure we can solve the dog training problems of the world, once again LOL.