Inheritance Of Traits

Vickie

Thanks for the link Vickie. Very interesting reading. Its also interesting seeing what traits are inherited only and what traits can be trained.

I liked this bit at the end.

Finally be it science or art, the skill of sheepdog breeding lies in the articulate balance of the dynamic hereditary forces within the dog.

Vickie,great article and well written by Tim.

I wish breeders of other Breeds would follow the same vigilance when breeding.If other Breeds were also tested as these Dogs are,they would be so much better for it and we would not have dogs being dumbed down.

I am afraid with some Breeders, the statement we are improving the breed is hollow and empty.One cannot rely on appearance only for an improvement.Like producing a new Car,claiming its an improvement but never testing it. Tony

I'm glad you all enjoyed it...here's another one that is also interesting:

Heritability of Herding-related Traits

I wish breeders of other Breeds would follow the same vigilance when breeding.If other Breeds were also tested as these Dogs are,they would be so much better for it and we would not have dogs being dumbed down.

I am afraid with some Breeders, the statement we are improving the breed is hollow and empty.One cannot rely on appearance only for an improvement.Like producing a new Car,claiming its an improvement but never testing it. Tony

I agree Tony. The thread about breeding for obed/agility got me thinking about this and although nobody agreed with me I was trying to point out that the traits req'd for these 2 things are not nearly as unique or identifiable as those req'd for herding for instance.

I often hear people say they breed for performannce, temperament, coat, bone, ear set etc. and "working ability". It bothers me that they tend to talk of "working ability" as if it is just one whole thing that you can tick off. I think if you were really breeding for "working ability", you would first need to be aware of the different components & then be analysing & testing each aspect, since there are many.

Edited by Vickie

:rofl: Tonymc.

l think if you're breeding for working ability you ought to work them.

I believe the same thing tmc, many breeders claim to be breeding working dogs but dont measure there dogs in working roles or against other dogs.

ETA: great article Vickie.

Edited by Jeff Jones

Thanks for the link :rofl:

I have seen that article before in a huge Kelpie book, about A3 paper size full of kelpie paintings of the dogs at Elfinvale :rofl: with bits and pieces of about training and breeding. I also have a book called "Suey the Sheepdog" written about one particular Kelpie at Elfinvale, used to be one of my fav books when I was little.

Agree :(

Edited by kateshep

The Australian Working Kelpie as it was...

2060456769_8e4c2fecc3.jpg

and as it still is now...

2061203768_2aed306658.jpg

:coffee: not really, I took both pics at a yard trial yesterday.

I really like this dog, I saw him when he first started on sheep a couple of years ago, so it was nice to see him yesterday trialling. He has a great attitude and showed all of the traits written about in the article.