My Puppy Has Tonsilitis

SPIKELOVER

Last Wednesday night, my puppy began crying and yelping when I gave him his dinner. He was obviously not a happy boy and woke up several times during the night whimpering.

I took him to the vets the next morning and (under anaesthetic) discovered that his tonsils were quite inflamed (apparently nearly double their normal size). He was given an anti-inflammatory/painkiller shot and has been on antibiotics since.

Up until yesterday, he appeared to be getting stronger and happier (no more yelping, back to eating and drinking normally). Then last night, he woke through the night yelping again and is yelping when he tries to eat or bark or drink and thus is avoiding all three. In addition, he's mopey and very sleepy.

I'm taking him back to the vet in the morning, but I just wanted to see if anyone here has had a puppy with tonsillitis in the past. There is so little on the internet about it and I just want to hear from anyone else whose been through it (need to know he's going to be OK even though the vet reassured me he would be!).

Also is there any reason he'd take a dive after appearing to be responsive to antibiotics originally?

I have never had puppies with it, but have had adult dogs with tonscillitis. They responded quite quickly to antibiotics. If your little one isn't responding, maybe a change of antibiotics is needed, or maybe it is something else causing the pain? Another vet trip is warranted, if only to ease your fears. Hope he is feeling better soon!

I have never had puppies with it, but have had adult dogs with tonscillitis. They responded quite quickly to antibiotics. If your little one isn't responding, maybe a change of antibiotics is needed, or maybe it is something else causing the pain? Another vet trip is warranted, if only to ease your fears. Hope he is feeling better soon!

Thanks for your thoughtful post. I am particularly confused that he seemed to be getting better and has now gone backwards - maybe a different type of antibiotic would sort it out.

Fingers x'ed that works and there is nothing else underlying this...

I have had a number of dogs develop tonsillitis over the years and three of them eventually had their tonsils removed, it's something that isn't uncommon in my breed. I found that antibiotics were very effective, but a few weeks after the course was finished the symptoms would return, one of my dogs battled infected tonsils for over a year or so, he lacked condition, never ate properly and was always a little flat and he improved 100% once they were removed.

In some cases one or two courses of antibiotics will clear it up, but if the tonsillitis keeps recurring it is better to have them removed. It's a simple procedure and recovery time is about 48 hours.

My pomX gets tonsilitis from time to time, anitbiotics clear it up pretty quickly, but ive never had a problem with her on anitbiotics get worse again. She must get it milder then others though as it never stops her from eating or playing.

We have had problems with tonsils with older dogs. If it has been a slight inflammation they have responded to antibiotics. However we have found especially if it is a bad case (as yours appears to be) it reoccurs unless they are removed.

It's a wonder the vet didn't remove them while the dog was already under. Why did the dog have to be knocked out to check it's tonsils? Most vets just open the dog's mouth and use a torch to check them out (or our one does).

After a few days of soft food the dog is back to its normal self.

Good luck with the dog.

My pap had toncillitus as a pup; in fact I was taking him for his last needle and the vet was giving him the once over and I mentioned a slight cough, which was his only symptom. As it turned out, he had a slightly raised temp too, but was not out of sorts in himself. Maybe it was the very beginning of it. We were lucky tho, as one course of antibiotics cured it.

I don't understand why your puppy was put under anaesthesia to diagnose tho??? My vet just looked down his throat, and then felt somewhere on his windpipe and got a cough reaction...

He also said that dogs can catch human flu's. As hubby had just got over the flu, I wonder if this is where my puppy picked up the toncillitus.

Best of luck!