What To Feed?

macey

We're just wondering what we should be feeding Toby?

He's 14 months old and he's currently on - umm not sure what its called, we got it with him, its Dr Harry's dry mixture? Something coat I think it is. Plus tins of Pedigree. He seems fine with this, however, isnt into the dry biscuits very much at all!!

So just after suggestions if there are things we should be feeding him, or another mixture to try him on?

Thanks!!

Supercoat?

Replace the Pal tins with Nature's Gift if you must feed tinned, it has much much better ingredients, Pal is mainly water.

There is a huge range of kibble to choose from, depending on your price range of course. How active is your dog?

Basically, the best food for your dog is the one your dog does well on. Can't remember who has that as their sig :D

Edited by amypie

Is your Border Collie a working dog or in the suburbs? Eagle pack I know have a power formula for working dogs and for suburb dogs they have a holisitc range! You will feed less of these types of biscuits as they are much more concentrated - so don't get scared of the price k!

http://www.eaglepack.com.au/Store/tabid/54/Default.aspx

Also I'm no expert but our puppy school teacher said that tinned food from the supermarket is equivalent to big macs.

I would go with dry food, bones, chicken necks/frames, bit of mince, sardines occassionally, eggs occassionally and vegies

On this thread there are things that are toxic thought so make sure you don't feed things like onion or garlic in significant quantities etc.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=81686

Thank you for those links and that information.

He's a "suburbs" dog. He also doesnt seem to be a very active dog either. Perhaps its the new environment and the heat, but he seems to just prefer to laze around, chew on his bones, go bury them, go dig another one up, chew, bury, sleep.........you get the idea :D

We've been taking him for a walk these past few nights for an hour - I will build it up, I promise :D Its killing me as it is lol.

I think it is supercoat that he's on.

I'll change from the supermarket tins right away :D

A friend told us we should be making up a mixture of rice and mince with some veggies but I wasnt too sure?? And is it cooked or raw mince?

A friend told us we should be making up a mixture of rice and mince with some veggies but I wasnt too sure?? And is it cooked or raw mince?

No. Ditch that advice. Dogs need a high protein sort of diet- think what a dog might eat in the wild and you get some idea. Rice is just a filler food. Veges tend to come out undigested with my dogs. Pet mince can be OK, but some is very dodgy.

I give dry food (convenience) and raw, meaty bones e.g. brisket/ chicken necks/ chicken carcasses etc. Probably 60:40 with more dry.

Keep your BC nice and lean as it's healthier.

A lean BC is best. No fatty's please.

Cooper gets 3/4 cup of Advance turkey and rice for coat growth with a small amount of raw diced beef of an evening, and either a chicken frame or half a lambs flap every morning.

Cooper is a big BC, being 25 inches at withers, and around 23-24 kg. If your BC is smaller, obviously feed a smaller amount.

Edited by BC