How Can You Tell?

austen

I have never had two dogs before and was just wanting to know if it's difficult to tell if they are playing or fighting.

Our two dogs roll around on the floor making funny growling noises (but doesn't sound nasty) and try and jump and nip each others ears and the fur underneath their mouths - is this normal behaviour - how can you tell the difference between playing and fighting (don't think I've ever seen a dog fight)

Edited by austen

Sounds fairly normal to me. Fighting is a lot nastier than this believe me.

thanks dogmad - yep someone said to me you will definitely know when your dogs are fighting.

Yes you certainly will, dog fights are horrible, I've had a couple and they're very frightening at the time, I hate them.

My two are very noisy when they play.

The one and only time my older girl has snapped (in a normal warning manner) at my younger one, the difference was obvious.

As for a full on dog fight, I haven't seen many but I agree with Miranda, they are horrible.

ETA - sounds like my two actually Austen, complete with the ear and 'throat' grabbing.

My two are a very playful pair, I honestly thought they would be sick of it now. The older girl, having been an only dog for her first 5 years with us, is in her element. Some dogs just never grow up. :rofl::)

Edited by Emmala

My dog Lewis has lots of nibble marks from where Indie the now 6mth old pup wrestles him.

They pull each others ears etc all the time.

Indies rather amusing,..if she sees Lewis is asleep and wants to play,she grabs him by the collar and drags him outside!! HAHAHA!

My two are always 'at it' they are quite close in age so are constantly testing each other. Every so often Mr 12 months who is increasing in attitude every day will over step the mark and be put in his place by Miss 17 months and it sounds like the world is coming to an end, but it is not serious and ends very quickly.

From what I've been told it's the quiet ones (fights) you have to look out for.

you would know instantly if they werent playing around and i usually class it as playing until there is blood involved.....

one of my neighbours got very worried that my 2 spent about 2 hours 'fighting' in the backyard one afternoon, he put the hose in them which did nothing! i told him to never interfere in a dog fight (they were quite elderly and i wouldnt want them getting hurt) - i got home to find them both covered in blood but when checked over only damage was Mav had a very small split lip i suspect it was an accident and they continued to play so white paws and chests and faces were covered in blood - i understand why my neighbour thought they were fighting!

my 2 sound like seals during mating season when they are playing!!! :eek:

Keep an eye on their tails. If their tails are still wagging then it's all good - just fun and games.

If one of them has their tail down, between their legs then they're feeling a little intimidated or scared - it's not fun anymore and you might consider separating them for a while for abit of a time out.

definitely read the body language...tail wagging all good like jillybean said. Also when mine get aggressive towards something the fur on their back stands up its like a big ridge down their back. Body very tense etc

Xena the pups favourite biting spots are the ears and chin. She likes going for the jugular. Occasionally if she aint happy its poor Humphreys dangly bits. If Humphrey's too rough she'll let him know it, bit of a growl and yelp and he backs off. Mind you its the little bugger that starts most the play fights

These are my monsters playin

PA190038.jpg

PA190049.jpg

PA190034.jpg

Have heard this question before but I have seen dog fights and you would NOT be unsure about what was happening, unless you were deaf. Watch the body language but also afterwards, if its a real dog fight often one will be feeling very sorry for him/her self (the loser).

I dont know about everone else but I also find that in a normal household situation dogs only fight when someone is home, I've never come home to find unexplained fight injuries??

Hi Austen!

I had to clarify this one time too because I had a littlie in the midst of small dogs ( but who were decidedly bigger than he was)

I was told that if the going gets rough, step in .If the pup is in the corner, being bashed, dont let it go on. On the otherhand if he himself retaliates and gives as good as he gets then it's ok .

This is our case, and now, the little one is confident and holds his own. He plays when he wants to and happily sits out if the others' play is too rough ( like when theyre zooming 'round the garden and hurtling into each other)

If the dogs are puppy pouncing and airbiting it's ok, too. I think it's the sparring ( when they get up and fight on their two hind legs, that's when it might spill out into aggression).

We have such a hoot watching them play. The cacophony is incredible! However, not once have we had to really be concerned. There's nipping and snapping but theyre equals so we dont worry. Lots of hair pulling- ouch - but no grudges. They sleep together like two great pals.

Enjoy the spectacle!