What My Vet Told Me...

1. Nutrience isn't a true "super premium" brand and that Science Diet and Advance are better choices

My research shows that Nutrience is a premium brand. Nothing wrong with Science Diet or Advance, but there is no point in changing just for the sake of it.

2. I should cook their mince instead of giving it raw because raw meat can have bacteria

Dogs digestive systems have evolved to deal with bacteria, and only a very few dogs have problems with bacteria. Cooking meat for dogs destroys an enzyme which is necessary for digestion. Also, if you are feeding "bone in" mince (ie, chicken mince), cooking destroys the calcium contained in the tiny bones. The biggest problem with raw beef is neospora, but freezing destroys this.

3. I should buy proper "human grade" beef mince instead of what I'm buying from pet food shop

If you can purchase preservative free meat from the pet shop, it is a better and cheaper option. The pet food shop I use sells only preservative free meat, from $1.20 kg.

alanglen

I would say beware of people over the internet and strong views on food. Speak with your vet or their vet nurse team and come up with an option designed for your family and companions, some people have ended up really cynical about vets on here and they are letting that blind them of good advice. Good luck with your decision

This is ok advice, provided the vet or nurse has some knowledge of nutrition - but a lot only know what the pet food reps have told them, while some people here have done quite a lot of research on feeding dogs, and are very knowledgable.

alanglen

certainly nutrience is not a premium food

And your reference for that statement is? I don't feed Nutrience, but research indicates that it is a premium food.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I won't give an opinion on the dry food but I would suggest you internet research the laws on labelling pet food which is helpful. I'm tired of people who compare domestic dogs with wild dogs. Centuries of breeding have altered dogs not only tempermentally but also physically. Your average poodle wouldn't last a week in the real wild! There are all sorts of concerns with eating only raw meat. You also have to remember that humans do things to modern mince that a wild dog wouldn't generally be exposed to. Not only in the processing of the meat but even in the way the cattle are fed. My girl does get raw meat but only periodically, plus research has shown that dogs prefer meat that has been cooked. Pet grade mince is often dyed to make it appear more choice so that is also a consideration. Every owner has to make up their own mind and I don't doubt that the majority of dog owners do the best they can for their pets.

research has shown that dogs prefer meat that has been cooked.

Please provide us a copy of this research?

Did you know 42.7% of all facts & statistics are made up on the spot? (I googled this)

There's been QUITE a few newbies lately who've been sprouting "facts" without evidence to back up what they're saying. Trolls?

-WithEverythingIAm

I also wanted to add that sometimes a dog can be healthy and glossy and full of vitality NOW, but the cumulative effects of their diet may not show up until they advance in age. A lot of research indicates that age associated diseases such as eye problems, arthritis, cancers etc are caused/exacerbated by the preservatives and colours in food. (Same for humans!) Even though I said there are concerns with feeding raw mince only I don't feel that applies to BARF which is a balanced and complete raw food. I meant that a lot of people seem the think their dogs only need mince.

Ouch! The research was conducted by pet food manufacturers (read into that what you will...) and the documentation was part of a pet care study course I was doing. I didn't quote any statistics although it's actually 62.9% of statistics that are made up on the spot. In case you're interested I feed my dog a mix of commercial and home prepared meals and am just as confused by all the choice as everybody else. I'm sure you and your attitude would fit in well at any dog show.

I also wanted to add that sometimes a dog can be healthy and glossy and full of vitality NOW, but the cumulative effects of their diet may not show up until they advance in age. A lot of research indicates that age associated diseases such as eye problems, arthritis, cancers etc are caused/exacerbated by the preservatives and colours in food. (Same for humans!) Even though I said there are concerns with feeding raw mince only I don't feel that applies to BARF which is a balanced and complete raw food. I meant that a lot of people seem the think their dogs only need mince.

Which is why a lot of people like to feed their dogs on BARF, OR natural dog biscuits like Nutro Natural Choice or Eagle Pack?

Also, there's no way in hell you can absolutely positively attribute diet to things like arthritis, cancer, eye problems. Who says these wouldn't have happened of a healthier diet? That's like saying Vegans will never get sick, as they eat healthier.

-WithEverythingIAm

Boy, you're very defensive. I said the research INDICATES that diet could be linked to those diseases. This is already proven in people. It doesn't mean a completely preservative free diet will guarantee that you WON'T get sick, there are countless other factors of course. It's just another one of a million considerations in choosing an animals diet. I'm not a naturopath or anything but maybe you should try some Bach Flower remedy? Ha ha.

Boy, you're very defensive. I said the research INDICATES that diet could be linked to those diseases. This is already proven in people. It doesn't mean a completely preservative free diet will guarantee that you WON'T get sick, there are countless other factors of course. It's just another one of a million considerations in choosing an animals diet. I'm not a naturopath or anything but maybe you should try some Bach Flower remedy? Ha ha.

Be as smarmy as you like - like water off a ducks back :laugh:

Not defensive at all. I have not indicated in my posts here what I feed my dogs? Please feel free to post your research findings, otherwise don't quote? Pretty easy really.

And research indicates something could be causing something? Not really conclusive evidence is it?

-WithEverythingIAm

JJay:

My girl does get raw meat but only periodically, plus research has shown that dogs prefer meat that has been cooked.

And I prefer french fries to brussel sprouts. That doesn't necessarily make fries better for me from a nutrional perspective. Cooking destroys some enyzmes present in raw meat and also depletes the taurine present in food. Cooking does improve palatability and there are definitely times when cooked food is a very good idea (eg. after oral surgery or a gastric upset)

You are never going to get people to agree on what is the best diet for dogs. Furthermore, no one diet is going to suit all dogs. Raw diets aren't for the lazy or uninformed and optimum processed diets aren't found in generic brand dog foods in the supermarket.

When people ask me what to feed their dogs I advocate the best quality non wheat based dry food they can afford (preferably supplemented with raw chicken on the bone) or a carefully researched raw diet. My vet is not an advocate of raw diet but respects my decision to feed that way - and that's all I ask.

Poodlefan -agree with you 100% - a vet told me that about cooked food many years ago. I feed my dogs mostly raw food - some dry (Royal Canin) and a bit of Eco-Pet. Very occasionally they will get a small amount of BBQ chicken as a treat (and they just love it) but I would not feed them BBQ chicken, or any other cooked food, exclusively (love your siggy BTW) meant to say your avatar!

Edited by poodlemum

Ouch! The research was conducted by pet food manufacturers (read into that what you will...) and the documentation was part of a pet care study course I was doing. I didn't quote any statistics although it's actually 62.9% of statistics that are made up on the spot. In case you're interested I feed my dog a mix of commercial and home prepared meals and am just as confused by all the choice as everybody else. I'm sure you and your attitude would fit in well at any dog show.

Got any links?