Dachhund Has Funny Smelling Breath/and Lump

Hayls

Our little 22 mth old entire Male Dachshund, has this weird sort of spot either side of wear his manhood comes back into his body, it had a scab on it a week ago which is gone, but the area is all white looking and its started on the opposite side, today my youngest check saying doodle mum doodle, to look down and notice that when his doodle is out slightly there is a rather noticable lump where this spot is...... not sure what it is and didn't touch it........

I have also noticed that he has really bad breath all of a sudden a real weird smell and can't work out what it would be from, has he maybe done something to himself while chewing on things he shouldn't......

Any ideas, not sure whether this is just doggy stuff that will in time sort itself out without the vet telling me im being stupid and there is nothing there.......

Oh he seems happy enough in himself too, not losing weight or looking sad or anything

Edited by Hayls

Do you give him bones at all? i give my boy brisket bones to clean his teeth and to keep the smell at bay :) ... I also brush his teeth with dogy toothpaste,.. as for the lump i cant help u there i would be taking him to the vet...

Good to see other dachshund owner! :)

I think you're talking about the bulbus glandis which when erect appears as two lumps at the base of the dog's penis, this is perfectly normal. However I'm not sure what you mean when you say the area is 'all white looking'. Can you take a photo?

Regarding the bad breath, your dog may have bad teeth or it could even be caused by his diet, have a look at his teeth and if they are covered in a brown substance and/or the gums look inflamed take him to the vet. If his teeth are white and his gums are pink and healthy it's probably caused by what you're feeding him, but it could also be something like tonsillitis.

Thanks for your replies! I think I'll take him to vet just to make sure...

We have been giving him more bones recently and he has a habit of chewing up branches and roots of trees.....

He is such a little dag......

Daxhound - your dog is adorable, Leroy is a smooth coat red

Thanks again

Thanks for your replies! I think I'll take him to vet just to make sure...

We have been giving him more bones recently and he has a habit of chewing up branches and roots of trees.....

He is such a little dag......

Daxhound - your dog is adorable, Leroy is a smooth coat red

Thanks again

Have a look up inside the roof of his mouth- easy to get part of a stick stuck up there. Will get stinky. My bigger dog had a big chunk of stick stuck there and gave no sign it was there (I looked in his mouth after he'd been bitten by another dog).

I find bones are great for keeping the dog's teeth white and healthy-looking.