Human Or Pet Grade Raw Meat

I have been thinking alot about what the vet asked when I took bear to the vet just over 2 weeks ago when I found blood in his faecies.

When she asked what diet he was on and I replied raw, she asked human grade or pet grade, is human grade better and safer, I mean with the chicken, pork, and lamb mince) I have had a look at mince at my butcher and the lean lamb mince which is what I always buy for my family is around $16-17 a kg any cheaper and it looks too fatty.

The chicken necks, wings and frames they are all the same arnt they?, Im not really sure what the difference is except the pet food is not fit for humans to consume.

I have read on here that there are some people that buy human grade only, why is that?, what are your reasons for this?

please Im interested.

I buy human grade only because IMO it is comprised of higher quality ingredients, and prepared and stored to a higher standard of health requirements.

Or so I like to think. I know that it's not allowed to contain preservatives and pet mince is. The only time I fed pet mince to my dogs, Lil got gastro which the vet said was most likely a reaction to preservatives.

I'd never feed lamb mince as it's too expensive. I get beef mince for $6.99 a kilo at my local butcher.

I buy pet grade brisket bones, chicken carcasses, and occasionally roo or semi-lean mince. One of my dogs is a large breed.

I'd buy human grade if I had only a small breed dog.

I'm not sure about the chicken necks I buy at the supermarket- can't

imagine any humans wanting to eat them, but they're not labelled "pet".

Edited by Poodle wrangler

I feed mine pet mince from a pet food manufacturer (Big Dog Pet Foods). This is a complete diet including minced meat with bones, fruit and vegies, offal. No preservatives. I also feed a chicken frame, wing, necks, roo tail or other soft bone a day to each dog and a touch of dry food with their raw mince. My pups are also raised on this mince. Human grade mince is not a complete diet on its own.

I have only ever bought human grade. Also, there is a difference between a butcher's meat and the large supermarket meats. The reason I buy only meat fit for human consumption is that the regulations on the sale of meat for sonsumption for humans is far more strict then pets.

Pet mince is usally filled with rubbish, more so then human grade mince. Pet mince is also far higher in preservatives and the butchers have less preservatives in their meat then the large supermarket chains.

I worked with a Vet years ago who worked with racing Greyhounds and he used to advise clients not to feed the pet mince to Greys as it slowed their performance. He used to ask clients to bring in a sample of their meat and drop some kind of liquid on it. The more purple the liquid showed, the more preservatives were in the meat.

All the meat I give my dogs is human grade, I just feel happier feeding it. I pay $4.99 per kilo for beef mince and I can buy a $15kg box of chicken wings for $30.00. If you feed meat from a pet supplier be very careful that it doesn't leak and contaminate your fridge. Ideally all pet grade meats should be kept well away from human food, preferably in a separate fridge.

I've been told that the inspections for pet grade are pretty good on such nasties as parasites. I think the real question is what you are looking for with respect to balance. Chicken mince is a good example. Pet grade could consist of human grade frames put through a mincer, in which case they are probably better for your dog than human grade chicken mince made from breast meat from the butcher. I don't like minced bone in chicken mince, but I'm happy to feed it to my dogs. Pet grade from another supplier may include far too much fat, or even gut material, which makes it unsafe for pups or dogs with depressed immune function.

I disagree that dogs need more fat then humans. A "balanced" dogfood is 13% fat max. The nutritionists are on about getting human diets down below 30% fat. I would rather feed lean pet grade mince than fatty human grade hamburger. If you have a breed that doesn't put on weight, it may be a different matter.

If you're feeding roo -- eg to a dog that needs to loose weight or has pancreatitis, I wouldn't even look at human grade.

Sandgrubber:

I disagree that dogs need more fat then humans. A "balanced" dogfood is 13% fat max. The nutritionists are on about getting human diets down below 30% fat. I would rather feed lean pet grade mince than fatty human grade hamburger. If you have a breed that doesn't put on weight, it may be a different matter.

Studies have proven that working and performance dogs do well on a diet of up to 30% fat.. sled dogs being one of the better known examples. Dogs that tired or tyed up on a diet high in carbs performed far better on a diet high in fat. Horses are the same. Carbs give instant, and fat gives longer lasting energy to dogs. There also appear to be benefits for more sedentary dogs including more regular heat cycles and better whelping rates, better skin condition and hair quality.

There are also studies showing the benefits of a diet high in fat to dogs suffering from cancer. Fat, not carbohydrate is the primary source of energy for dogs.

Edited by poodlefan

I get my chicken mince from the 'Chicken Shop'. It's human grade frames etc. minced. 'Roo, diced, from the pet food shop - they only have dog/cat food, meat and no preservatives are used, been there when they are dicing, mincing, cutting up and it's a clean a place as you would find.

I use both.

If the human grade is on special i will get it. I got a great deal on 4.2kg of 5star mince for $14.00 at coles.

THey have to mark down their mince at night if it was packed in teh morning. So go to Coles at 8.30-9pm and check. It is their policy as they do not use preservitives and meat minced in the morning cannot be resold the next day.

Beef and Lamb mince from the supermarket when ever i need it.

Chicken mince comes from "pet meats" place that doesn't general sell to the public. They usually receive carcasses fresh in the mornings, ground them up and freeze immediatly to send on - thus no preservatives. We buy in bulk loads of 200kgs fresh, and rebag and freeze ourselves. Chicken is very fresh and great quality.

And yes our sled doggies definitley get a high fat diet during race season. And most of them aren't taken off their high fat food during summer, just the quantity is reduced.