Canon V Sigma 70-300 Lens

ruthless

I just got this reponse from Cameras Direct. I asked him the difference between the Sigma, the old Canon 70-300 and the new Canon 70-300

---

Generally all these lense are the same - zoome range, aperture wise.

Both the Canon feature USM - Ultra Sonic Motor - which greatly improves focusing speed and IS (Image Stabilzer) which allows

you to hold a steady shot while shooting about 2 stops slower - 1/60s vs 1/300s.

The EF 70-300 DO IS is almost on par with Canon's topline L series lens but features Diffrative Optics (DO) elements which

result in a much more compact design at the expense of a tiny reduction in quality. It is still however the sharpest of the 3

lenses listed.

If you're going to bee shooting any kind of action I'd forget about the Sigma you will simply be frustraed by the slow focus

speed. Either of the Canon's will be more than suitable. If you aren't going to be printing anything larger than A4 you will be more

than happy with the EF 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM.

---

So, I guess I'll go with the Canon. Prob the old one as I'm only an amateur :rofl:

I have a EF 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM and whilst I wouldn't compare it to the "white" L series lenses

its a pretty good lens. IS is a very handy feature to have. I might be selling mine because I prefer

to use primes (non zoom) for 300mm and upwards.