Raw & Jpeg Questions

wagsalot

Can anyone explain RAW to me in simple terms?? I've been told before but it just doesn't stick and im still confused.

...Or can anyone provide any links which explains the RAW Format that is easy to understand for a learner :laugh:

Also , I was reading something the other day that said it is not recommended to leave photo's on your computer in JPEG format. It said its not so bad to shoot in JPEG, but to change the format once you download them onto your computer. I can't remember what format it recommended off the top of my head.

Just wondering what format everyone saves their photo's as?

Raw photos are not altered by the camera in any way, you need to do that yourself on the computer.

JPEG photos are altered in the camera, ie shadows, contrast, brightness etc.

With raw you have some ability to adjust exposure if the photo is under/over exposed slightly. Raw is also a larger file so you can fit less on a memory card and on your hard drive. Raw processes also allow you to manually adjust things like brightness, shadows, contrast to get to the final point with no loss of detail.

JPEG is not bad to store but evey time you edit and save a JPEG file on your computer is looses quality. If you are making any adjustments use TIFF or PSD (don't think TIFF will save layers)

I normally use RAW but you cannot use point and shoot modes with raw - with my camera at least.

You cannot print directly from a memory card at a shop if you have used RAW format, they only take JPEG

All my pictures are saved as JPEG, but if Im going to edit one of them I open up the original and then save it as another name and then work on that one. I do that so I always have the original shot which hasn't been edited in any way.

Im guessing by doing this im not really editing and saving alot, therefore wouldn't be loosing quality??

Going to have a read of that link now.

Edited by wagsalot