How Many Cups Of Biscuits A Day

chloebear

With the best of intentions I have been way over feeding my puppy, it wasn't until in another thread someone grouped what I was feeding her together that I realised and that is way I have the problem with her faeces. I am thinking of just mainly giving her dry food with left over vege's plus of course some chicken necks with the occasional fruit. Without meaning to, I gave my dog diaharri from way to much fruit plus some fruit that wasn't too good for her. Plus she poos all day about 6 today. So how many cups of biscuits should she be getting a day. I am feeding her Purina puppy one. I know I have asked many quesitons re diet, but I am still getting it wrong so please help once again

chloebear, firstly I would feed a better quality dry food than the one you are currently feeding. The quantity they advise on the pack is usually far more than the dog needs to stay in good shape so I would feed a lesser amount than stated. It's easier to put weight on a dog than to get it off an overweight one.

For a better quality food look for Eagle Pack, Royal Canin, Nutrience or Natural Balance.

The supermarket foods are usually contain too many grains and fillers.

This is an example for you, but Cooper is around 24 - 25kg and I feed him 3/4 cup of dry per day plus a little bit of raw meat.

Vinnie is around 17 - 18kg and gets 1/2 of a cup plus raw meat.

Every couple of days they also get a lambs flap or neck in the morning. These days I will only feed them the dry with no raw meat at their evening meal time.

If they get other bits and pieces during the day I will reduce their food at meal times, or not feed them an actual meal at all that day.

I try to keep my dogs lean though ;) and they only have 1 hard poo every morning. Cooper will only poo again during the day on training days which is more marking than needing an actual poo.

This is just an example for you only !!

Edited by BC

I also would switch to a better dry. If I remember correctly, your pup is 4 months old but I can't remember what breed. Our babies are 4 months old today and will grow to approximately the size of a female German Shephard or Labradors or a bit smaller and our vet said that at 4 months they should be getting 1 cup of food twice a day. That includes everything. So if you give them vegetables, fruit etc, that decreases the amount of dry.

Our dog is two now - we feed her the suggested amount of dry food (Nutro Choice) and on top of that give her two chicken necks, and probably about 350 grams of veges, raw meat etc.

The only problem we have ever had wtih her was about a montho after we got her ( she was about 4 months old), when she got some diahhorea. Vet said what we were feeding her was fantastic, but was just too much , too quickly. Introduced it very slowly, i.e. mixing in with dry and she was fine. Now she is so active, we can't keep the weight on her.

Oh - also forgot to add - don't think dry food itself would give her diahorrea (will really have to learn how to spell that correctly :laugh: ) I was told one of the advantages of a premium quality dry food, was that it was much easier to clean up their poo. One of my favourite jobs - not!

Oh - also forgot to add - don't think dry food itself would give her diahorrea (will really have to learn how to spell that correctly :laugh: ) I was told one of the advantages of a premium quality dry food, was that it was much easier to clean up their poo. One of my favourite jobs - not!

The diahorrea, i think was caused by the large amount of fruit I was giving her (thought I was doing well), is there a spell checker to use on this forum - I really need one my spelling is a shocker and so is my writting (thanks to the age of computers I never needed to know how to spell, only to type) :laugh:

The diahorrea, i think was caused by the large amount of fruit I was giving her (thought I was doing well), is there a spell checker to use on this forum - I really need one my spelling is a shocker and so is my writting (thanks to the age of computers I never needed to know how to spell, only to type) :laugh:

I know - me too - thought the fact that i was giving her all the raw meat and veges, I was doing the right thing - she seemed to love it so I just kept giving her more. :)

I know what you mean about the spell checker. :laugh:

:laugh: My daughter is off to school next year, better make sure I buy a dictionary for use at home. Otherwise her homework will be full of big red crosses and circles (with a note please get your mother to check your homework).

:laugh::laugh:

Tell me about it - some of the spelling words my Year 3 daughter gets, I have to look at twice to make sure they are right! :)

I read your thread in the other forum chloebear...it was quite a bit of chow all added up when yu see it in a list, but an easy mistake to make if you dont think of it that way...

Personally, I'd ditch all the fruit for a week and investigate pups responses to the other foods, reintroduce slowly and then you'll work out what is causing the diahorrea very quickly :laugh:

For Mazza's food and size he is supposed to eat 2.25 cups a day according to the pack. I halve that because I add lean meat and rice to the dry food and he eats about 50g of boiled chicken in training every day...all of that adds up to replace the dry food portion IMO. I occaisionally feed him a small piece of apple but thats it at the moment, I will try another fruit sometime soon but I'm concentrating on introducing slowly...the mess just isnt worth it! Plus, with a good quality dry food they get all the viatmins etc they need so I dont worry too much about trying to provide extras with a large variety of fruit and vege. I feed bones 3 times a week, and on those days its only dry food (a smaller portion) for dinner.

Each dog is different but you will work it out in time.

Good Luck :laugh:

Holly problems now thinks I am straving her, cut her food in half with no fruit.......I still had a packet of pal puppy (I don't buy this anymore) packet says to feed her 5 1/2 cups a day - this sounds plain ridiculas even to me, purina puppy biscuits say 1 1/2 cups per day . I am looking to change to Royal Canin which I have started a thread about needing information.

Edited by chloebear

I don't mind the Purina One food. I'm feeding it atm and both dogs like it. No poo issues at all. In fact, improved on this. You'll find the other brands suggested much more expensive, but each to their own. I also feed chicken carcasses, chicken necks etc.

Purina One will have a table on the packet with suggest amount to feed per day- divide this by number of meals. Feed less dry if you're feeding other foods as well. How much does your dog weigh? Breed?

Dogs need only a minimal amount of fruit/ veg, so cut that back. If loose and frequent poos are a problem, reduce the amount of food and add raw bones e.g. brisket bones.