Friend's Puppy Weeing When Overexcited.

austen

A friend's 5 month old dog wees all over the place when she gets excited (i.e. when new people come to the door etc. Is there anything you can do for this (apart from ignoring her) and is she likely to stop or will it be an ongoing behaviour?

Sorry, I don't have any useful advice to share, but one of my friends has a dog that does this too! He pees all over the place then jumps around in it and jumps up on you! eww..

Jillybean, how old is he?

Our nearly five month old Labrador - Fraser - has done this a few times as well...

He mainly has a small "squirt" when he notices new people (and they notice him!) He has become much better at my parents place when we take him over, originally when he was doing it I would immediately take him outside for the toilet and keep him out there until he knew that he had to pee.

We currently have him in training with ADT @ Berwick and I asked them why he appears to pee everywhere at my parents place yet he is very well toilet trained at home. They then asked a few questions and sure enough it is because my parents home is mainly tiled throughout all areas and the smell/aroma from the cleaning product used on the floor entices him to pee!!

As far as a solution... I think your puppy will grow out of it - come to think of it when Fraser last did a wee at my parents it was wiped up with paper towel and then put in front of Fraser's nose and a stern "No!" - I think he clicked on to what we were talking about. Best of luck!

Funny, out my first ever litter of beagles a couple of girl pups had this problem. I have not experienced it since. I am pretty sure they grew out of it with maturity. Not a nice problem though.

I think rewarding puppy for calm behavior and for sitting when people arrive may be the way to approach the problem.

Our nearly five month old Labrador - Fraser - has done this a few times as well...

He mainly has a small "squirt" when he notices new people (and they notice him!) He has become much better at my parents place when we take him over, originally when he was doing it I would immediately take him outside for the toilet and keep him out there until he knew that he had to pee.

We currently have him in training with ADT @ Berwick and I asked them why he appears to pee everywhere at my parents place yet he is very well toilet trained at home. They then asked a few questions and sure enough it is because my parents home is mainly tiled throughout all areas and the smell/aroma from the cleaning product used on the floor entices him to pee!!

As far as a solution... I think your puppy will grow out of it - come to think of it when Fraser last did a wee at my parents it was wiped up with paper towel and then put in front of Fraser's nose and a stern "No!" - I think he clicked on to what we were talking about. Best of luck!

Thanks Sticks - I'll let my friend know!

Some grow out of it, some don't ;) From my experience about 75% do. I sympathise, as I have a lot of little clients younger dogs here who dribble everywhere when their owners turn up.

Also a good idea to check that she hasn't an infection. If she is not desexed it could possibly be a little infection. Check that she hasn't any discharge coming from her vulva or sticking to the surrounding hairs.

Some grow out of it, some don't ;) From my experience about 75% do. I sympathise, as I have a lot of little clients younger dogs here who dribble everywhere when their owners turn up.

Also a good idea to check that she hasn't an infection. If she is not desexed it could possibly be a little infection. Check that she hasn't any discharge coming from her vulva or sticking to the surrounding hairs.

Mmm - thanks Dru - I might print this out for her. Yes, she is a little dog - a Maltese.

Sorry, I don't have any useful advice to share, but one of my friends has a dog that does this too! He pees all over the place then jumps around in it and jumps up on you! eww..

I think he's about 6-7months old now. However he's not very well trained or cared for, so I wouldn't be surprised if it had something to do with that.

I think he's about 6-7months old now. However he's not very well trained or cared for, so I wouldn't be surprised if it had something to do with that.

Maybe attention seeking? Craving human attention?