New Puppy With Existing Dog.

austen

When you bring a new puppy into a home where there is an existing dog, I understand you need to supervise them carefully, but how long do you think you need to wait before you can leave them unsupervised together?

Matter of judgement.

I have an 18kg size difference, however, I made sure our new pup was a less dominant temperament.

Little guy is the boss, but I'm always on the look out to see if the dynamic is changing.

Both dogs are desexed which can help reduce tensions.

At 10 months of age, nil problems with pup and existing dog.

I face the same problem soon too and am really concerned. :laugh:

I've got an 8-year-old Kelpie X bitch (desexed) and getting an 8-week-old Weimaraner boy in February. My old girl never really cared too much for other dogs but I mostly had a 2nd dog living with us but they were always older. I will take the first month off when th pup arrives and keep an eye on them. When I go back to work, the pup will go in a puppy pen, so it cannot bother the old girl too much. I hope they will have settled a few months after that. What do you guys think?

Oh lucky you oceanaussie - I love Weis. Used to have one many years ago. Gorgeous dogs and very sensitive to their owners needs. When my toddler son would hold his lead he would walk so slowly and gently. He also learnt to pull me up our steep driveway when I was very pregnant. He was a bugger for hunting snakes though, and kept getting bitten. Sorry a bit off topic! I guess you will have to wait and see how they get on. Some dogs really take to each other, while others need their own space. Some will get on with one puppy and not another, depending on personalities. I would think you would have a fair idea in a week or two how they will respond to each other.

We have a 11 year old German Shep and a now 14 week old Siberian Husky Pup. The first two weeks i thought "Oh my god what have i done" The Shepherd was snarly & snappy (very unlike her nature) and after a while they seemed to be 'okay' and i turned my back for 5minutes and the Shep snapped at Pup and pup got a gash to the head. :laugh: So we divided the backyard in two and built pup his seperate pen. Three days into this new arrangement i come home to see the pup got out of his pen and spent the day with the Shepherd and survived. Which gave me a bit of confidence to start 'trusting' them together.

Now (being together for about 6 weeks)....

They can't be seperated if you tried - they actually get a little anxious without each other. The Shepherd has really taken on a mothering protective roll to the Sibe .... she grooms him, plays with him and they will sleep in the same bed (despite having seperate ones). They are so gorgeous together.

Years ago we had a German Shepherd not desexed. He was about 4 years old when we bought a 10 week long coat Chihuahua. My husband was very worried the Chi would be a very expensive meal for the GS.

We were very nervous and introduced the pup to the adult dog. There was never a problem and the GS absolutely loved the pup. We used to watch the pup hanging by the teeth off the jowels of GS. He used to lay down so the pup could jump all over him.

I think adult dogs know the puppies are babies, just like humans. BUT it probably does depend on the nature of the dogs involved.

We are actually bringing home a Chihuahua pup tomorrow and she will have to live with our sons 3 year old Chihuahua we are "boarding" for 12 months while he is building a house. I just hope they get along together as well as our German Shepherd and Chihuahua did all those years ago.

Moggy

BenjiMom, that's what I have at the moment - a 5mth old Whippet and Miniature Pinschers! The two older Mins, 14 years and 11 years, no problem, they just put the pup in her place with a growl and she knows to leave them alone. The young Min Pin dog, 20months, and the Whippet have a great time under supervision. The Min chases the Whippet and that's fine, other way around and the poor Min tends to get run over and bowled along the ground so I stop the game then. When they play together it's OK for a start but if they get too excited the Whippet tends to lay on the Min then all you can see is little legs waving in the air! I separate them at this stage, the Whippet is only playing but at 3/4 times the size and weight I'm afraid the Min will accidently get hurt. They are great mates but as I said I supervise all the play times.

post-654-1193533124_thumb.jpg