Dogtech Training?

skip

I often wonder how one could become a "dog trainer" in 4 weeks. This is a very scary situation, not just for the dog, but for the franchisee who hasn't had any previous experience with dogs and is called into deal with an aggressive case. Dogtech's public liability insurance must be through the roof I reckon!

It's not just Dogtech, but any other franchise who offers crash course type training for their franchise buyers. You get more training if working for a bank than you do working with a living, breathing animal with a working brain! Be afraid.....be very afraid!

Kelpie-i

More importantly how many owners listen to inexperienced 'Franchisee's, believing they are highly qualified and experienced trainers/behaviourists. I suggest that these companies even maybe missleading the public in regards to how experienced their trainers/behaviourists are. Surely there is a law against this?

Sure simple behaviour modification such as barking or pulling on the lead, or teach my dog to sit, stop my dog pulling washing of the line, doesn't really take much knowledge or experience in 'most' cases. But what about the more involved situations such as aggression (fear based, stress related, dominance related, etc,etc), overly assertive behaviour, insecurity, overly submissive behaviour, etc ,etc

I had a case where an owner called one of these franchise companies out because her poodle 10 week puppy was showing signs of aggression and biting. This person told her not to worrry its just normal puppy behaviour. She ended up coming to me when this pup was around 12 months old because of its unpredictable aggression.

Or the Dobi situation I stated in my previous thread.

I think it's more of a numbers game. They know at least 75% of thier callouts will be simple cases. I know of one case where a lady rang a franchise owner about an overly aggressive GSD, she was informed that they couldn't fit her in for appointment for at least 2 months... Hmmm .. I wonder if the lady that rings about her dog pulling her washing of the line got an immediate booking?

Really.. I think this profession needs to be more regulated (sad but true). And you should achieve a certain amount experience/training before being allowed to call yourself a professional. Can you imagine the outcry if the all of a sudden they allowed an electrician to call himself an expert after only 4 weeks training?

If it wasn't such a dangerous situation it would be laughable.

Footnote: My reference to Franchises in my threads are not necessarily in reference to Dogtech, but to dog training franchises in general..

Edited by MarkS