Should 4mth Old Puppy Be Getting Lunch?

chloebear

My puppy is now 4mths old, should I still be feeding her lunch each day. I have been giving her two chicken necks or one large turkey neck for lunch. I can't tell you her breed because I don't know, rescue puppy. She is expected to be about 30-40 kg when fully grown. She has gained wieght since I have had her and she is looking to be in good condition now so I am no longer trying to put weight on her but I am trying to keep her healthy. She has a mixed diet, cup of biscuits with sardines for breakfeast, lunch chicken/turkey neck, dinner cup of biscuits plus some raw meat and vegetables. Through the day when the kids have left over fruit I also give her that.

i would cut it back to one neck for lunch or just some biscuits... i usually feed something during the day until about 6 months but that varies according to the dog....if the dog is healthy and happy and you are happy i would keep the lunch routine... our dogs range in age from 7 yrs to 13 weeks and they all get lunch, they just get smaller breakfast and dinner than dogs that dont get lunch.

I also feed three meals until the pup is six months. I think you could be feeding your pup more. My Stafford pup who is six months next Friday is getting chicken wings/lamb necks/kangaroo tails for breakfast, at least 250g, 250g chicken necks/wings for lunch, which is about 7-9 necks, and 1 BARF Pattie for dinner.

Edited by Tiggy

Don't know how one can make the call on wanting the dog to be fed more without seeing it? If the dog has a good cover but is not in any way fat, that is a good weight for a growing pup. If it gets too lean, give the dog more. If it gets too fat, cut back the quantity or the concentration of food. Going by dog condition and appetite is a good way to assess.

Edited by sidoney

My Aussie Shepherd pup never got lunch from 11 weeks of age because we were at work during the day and it was too far to come home. Instead, he'd have breakfast at around 7.30am, dinner as soon as we got home around 5.30pm, then "supper" just before bedtime at about 10pm. Breakfast was (and still is) Eagle Pack kibble, with or without tinned sardines, or some brisket bones. Dinner was a raw meat, egg, cheese, vege mix which he still gets. Supper was a couple of chicken necks, a wing or two and a puppy biscuit.

That worked well for us and gradually I increased the time before he got dinner and cut down supper til he was only having 2 meals a day.

Our Lab babies got 4 meals a day unti lthey were about 12 weeks, then when I returned to work (after thier maternity leave lol) they went to breakfast, dinner and supper.

Later the two keepers became individual eaters and one didnt really need that third meal - she was not quite as food driven as her sister.

Now they have two meals a day at 7 months because we all work and they are thriving.

at 12 weeks give them 2 meals a day.. but i have a big pup

No matter how big the pup, at 12 weeks, it's stomach is not large enough to go between breakfast and dinner without lunch. If you go to work, leave some dry food out for the pup to have for lunch. It't very bad for a pup to go so long between feeds, and I am surprised the diet sheet which should have come with your pup didn't point this out.

At 4 months, the pup should definitely be having 3 meals a day although 4 is better. He will tell you when he is ready to drop a meal - he simply will not eat all of one meal. That's the time to drop a feed, not at any particular age. And at 16 weeks he can eat as much as he wants - unless he is a pig, in which case, you will have to regulate the food. Most 4 month old pups eat only what they need.

Greed comes with adulthood. Obviously, if he is hopelessly overweight, cut back his food, but my experience, gained with a lot of pups is that they self regulate. And they have growth spurts and eat a lot, or they don't so they go through periods of not eating as much as they were eating. Depends on how they are growing.