Dog Playing Too Rough

i tried this in general but got no response so maybe here is a better place. (and i'll make it shorter!)

My 10month old staffy x has become increasingly rough when playing with other more submissive dogs. After a quick game of chasey she will start to grab at their jowls or ears with her teeth and try to wrestle them down. She seems to be playing but it is not pleasant for the other dog (or either owner!). This stops by me growling NO, putting her on leash and dragging her away. is there any way i can curb this behaviour?

She is perfectly fine with more dominant dogs and has a very friendly nature and im sure this is a bad habit picked up from some other dogs she has played with.

Thanks,

Dee

Sounds like nothing too much to worry about. I would say she is just playing, my dogs play lke this all the time. I'm sure other dogs would let her know when enough is enough. I would only take her away if it is abvious that the other dog is not enjoying it and doesn't want to join in the game.

Thanks for the reassurance Pippi.

But sadly that is exactly what is happening. She only does it to more submissive dogs who dont know how to say no and she gets obsessed with bullying them. Ive had quite a hard time getting her off several dogs- who have been yelping when she wont let go and she is pulling them around by their jowls.

So now we might have to keep her away from other dogs altogether- its sad because she just LOVES other dogs (too much!).

I have a staffy and he plays like this all the time. I really wouldn't worry about it unless he starts to hurt the other dog- which he probably isn't or it seems frightened.

ETA

Sorry just read your next post. Maybe keep her on lead for a while and let her play with others like that this way you can correct her when she gets over excited. It shouldn't take long for her to realise whats acceptable in play in whats not.

Edited by he'smyhero

Hi deelee2,

This use to worry me too.

My two dog play really rough sometimes as well, but one will usally let the other know if they are being to much, and I guess that this is very natural play for dogs anyway.

If mine are being really silly I will put them into a sit, till they calm down abit and then their play will usally calm down abit.

Not sure if this is any help but I wouldn't stress to much

Edited by bouncey boxers

If she is frightening other dogs and their owners then it certainly is something to worry about. Doing this with strange dogs is a totally different situation than with dogs who live and play together.

Deelee seems to think so too which is why she posted here.

Sorry but I'd be hopping mad if the Staffy x did this to one of my small submissive dogs and we would be having words. I don't want my small dogs frightened of other dogs.

If she tried it on with one of my big dogs they would teach her pretty quickly that this was very bad doggy manners. The dog is bullying other dogs and it's not acceptable. If she does this with a young pup it may well affect the way the pup reacts to strange dogs for the rest of its life. Not only that but one day she'll do it to a very dominant dog who strongly objects to being bullied. The Staffy x will pay the consequences and Deelee will have a sizeable vet bill.

I would keep her on lead until the issue is resolved. She's only a pup so I suggest that you contact a trainer to help resolve the problem.

eta: If you decide to go the way of a trainer go by word of mouth and make sure you get one who knows what they're talking about. Give a general idea of your area and maybe someone here can recommend one

Edited by cavNrott

Thanks everyone, that all sounds do-able.

CavNrott, im completely with you- it worries me no end.

Unfortunately she had been playing at the dog park with some overly rough staffies who have been doing the same thing to her. The owner kept saying to me: "Dont worry they are just playing- its good for her" and i (a novice staffy owner) stupidly let her be bullied and now she's doing it to other dogs. Im really annoyed at myself since she was such a lovely sweet dog with ALL dogs before that. One thing i am glad about though is that she does not pick fights with dominant dogs, with them she is still submissive- so far...

Edited by deelee2

Unfortunately she had been playing at the dog park with some overly rough staffies who have been doing the same thing to her. The owner kept saying to me: "Dont worry they are just playing- its good for her" and i (a novice staffy owner) stupidly let her be bullied and now she's doing it to other dogs. Im really annoyed at myself since she was such a lovely sweet dog with ALL dogs before that. One thing i am glad about though is that she does not pick fights with dominant dogs, with them she is still submissive- so far...

Don't be annoyed with yourself and don't worry too much. Your dog is only a pup and it shouldn't take long to correct the problem. In the meantime I wouldn't have her offlead around other dogs. Good on you for recognising it is an issue. Some people seem to think a dog bullying other dogs is ok (as long as it's not their dog being bullied). It is never ok and there are always consequences.

Pups who have been bullied will either become so submissive that they are totally terrified if another dog comes near them and they will bark madly at the sight of another dog or they might, as your dog has done, go in the opposite direction and start bullying other dogs.

I have an idea how I would address the problem but I'm not a trainer so I won't give advice on what I would do. May I suggest that you pm Erny on this forum. She's an experienced and knowledgable trainer who is very helpful with her advice.

Edited by cavNrott

Okay, we need Erny or Kelpie-i here I think!!! Here is my two cents' worth. Take care at the dog park. I hate the expression 'don't worry he's friendly' or 'don't worry they are just playing'. Without seeing what is happening, you don't want your youngster to be put in a position where she believes that attack is the best method of defence, or dominance is the best method of defence. I'm not saying that's what's happening, I can't see. But my advice would be, BE CAREFUL. Keep your dog on a lead. Then choose carefully who she associates with. Pick older, calm dogs who will take no notice of her behaviour until it gets overbearing and then they won't put up with it and they'll give her a quick reprimand. You don't want her to learn overbearing tactics with other dogs if you can help it. I thought the comment clip her up and take her away from what she wants was excellent, very sound. But don't put her in situations where she can reinforce her undesirable behaviour. I wouldn't. My bitch can be just that, especially to other females... not uncommon. This was partly a learned behaviour and partly genetic. Try to avoid the learned bit. It takes a lot of work to undo it... I should know! LOL. Good luck!!! And don't blame yourself, you can only do your best which sounds like you are doing, by asking others and learning the best way to handle it :laugh:

Thanks guys. Didn't see this thread until now. Have PM'd the OP with some detailed info - basically involves recalls away when dog's body language signals an escalation in excitement. The OP has been advised to keep her dog on-lead and to practice the exercise in a controlled environment.

Edited by Erny

Bit of an update. And thanks to Erny for the good advice! And everyone else :laugh: !

Got a call from my trainer this morning to tell me she had heard 2nd hand about my "pitbull"(?!) attacking a dog and called me to warn me that i have a problem (she outlined the legal ramifications if she continues- yikes!). I filled her in and she advised me that since my dog is not letting go when the other dog yelps that she should not be allowed off leash until i have seen a vet behaviourist (she has recommended one). I'll be organising all this for the new year and until then i will invest in a long leash. Bloody hell, I knew it was a problem but ... this is all rather distressing, i was in tears on the phone. My trainer said she was shocked that it was my dog- last time she saw her she was overly submissive. GREAT... Thanks for telling me not to feel guilty but i do.

And even worse, i will have go jogging every day :laugh: to get the bullying bugger excercised enough!

Dee

Deelee2 .... I have PM'd you. As I mentioned in the PM, I am concerned about the suggestion that your dog may need medication to assist in remedying its existing problematic behaviour. A "behaviourist Vet" is often very different in skill than a "trainer/behaviuorist" and it would be wise to investigate and be comfortable with that person's skill level before you engage them. This is not to slight your trainer's advice ..... I guess being far removed from your situation as I am, it is impossible to assess first hand.

If it were me I would get in contact with Steve @ K9 Force. He is in Sydney and you will find many here who have through his guidance achieved improvement and success in managing their dog's problematic behaviours ..... and in most cases without the use of drugs.

I am not opposed to use of drugs in combination with specific training to aid in remedying some situations, but I am not convinced that drugs are necessary in this instance.

As I say though ..... I am not there, have not seen and do not know your dog.

Also as I mentioned in my first PM to you, the 'tips' I gave to help you sort through this problem were only advised on the basis that any aggression was absent. You are right to avoid dog/dog interaction without supervision of a qualified trainer/behaviourist and to keep your dog on lead until the problem has sought appropriate attention, if you suspect your dog's behaviour may be based in or escalate to aggression.

Good luck and stay in touch to let us know how you get on.

Oh - and don't despair. Many people have achieved successful outcomes with the right tuition, supervision and advice. :laugh:

Cheers!

Erny

Edited by Erny

Thanks Erny,

i must say i was not convinced by the talk of medication, but i think she mainly believed it would facilitate faster training (since i have small kids). And I guess being able to give my dog the label "INTENSE and unable to hold focus" was a bit of a wishful thinking, itd be nice to have something to blame it on rather than me!. If im honest, my dog's training could've been more consistent- though im sure that leadership is not a problem as i have worked very hard on this and her behaviour at home is very good.

I think i will talk to Steve.

thanks,

Dee

(have pm'd you this message too!)