Sorry What Is Crating?

chloebear

Hi,

http://www.petsplus.com.au/pet-shop.asp?id=659

That is basically what a metal/wire crate looks like (though designs may vary as will the number of doors etc). They are also avaliable in a soft material, often called Soft-crates.

If the dog or pup is introduced correctly, many adapt very well and regard the crate as their 'den' or their home. It is their safe place. All my dogs are crate trained and if the doors are left open, they will often choose to sleep in there, even though they have the choice of the couch!

With pups, it can be very handy for when you can't be there to supervise 100% (protects the pup from dangers such as power cords or small objects and also protects your valuables!). It can also assist with toilet training as most pups wont toilet in their sleeping quarters and so will cry to let you know they want to go outside.

For adults, it can help reduce stress if they are already crate trained, if they need confinement either at a vet, groomers or due to injury, as well as travelling, a crate trained dog is more likely to be accepted in holiday parks and motels, especially if it is a large breed. It can also be very useful if you have tradespeople or similar wandering in and out of your house, no chance of your dog escaping because someone left the door or gate open. If you wish to do obedience or another activity with your dog, they are also very useful.

If you have children, your dog can see the crate as it's safe place, as its home and you can teach your children that when Dog is in his crate, then he is off-limits. Also useful at feeding time if you have kids or multiple dogs.

Do a search for crate training here or on Google and you will get some more information.

I am a huge fan of crates, after using them only since late 2004, and can say with 110% confidence that correctly used, they are not cruel. Just looking at my dogs who choose to go into the open crates of their own will is enough for me to say "yay crates".

It is like a house that you can put the dog into...

Its like a safe place for them, most dogs love it and even sleep in there without being told to go in there..

Here are some pics for you to see.... I don't know what i did before i descovered them, its a great time out spot for pups to go....

post-13376-1191646462_thumb.jpg

post-13376-1191646473_thumb.jpg

Be aware too that it is often used as a substitute for training by stupid lazy people, who put the dog into the crate instead of giving it appropriate training...or to keep it out of the way.

Sorry What Is Crating?

.....It is what I should have taught my dog instead of finding out a year later when I had to keep my I-am-sure-he-runs-on-energizer-batteries-pap 'quiet' for a while due to neck injury..AAUUGGHHH

Crate training is a miracle, thats what it is! Toilet trained my Labrador puppy from day 1 and he also tells me when he's ready for bed by hopping in there at night and waiting for me to reward, close the door and cover him up. Give it a go!

could you or would you crate train a 9 month old that has been with the breeders it's whole life (ie lived outside with lots of other dogs etc) and then come to live in this completely different enviroment (ie mum/dad and 3 kids in the suburbs with no other dogs in family)???