Myth Or Not..

A mate tried to tell me the other day that a dog can only 'master' 5 commands. He can still learn other stuff but won't be 100% on those other commands.... :)

Apparently he has an uncle who is a dog trainer and he took his rotti for a 6month obedience/guard dog training course (not thru his uncle) and says that they told him that. I reckon hes full of it ;) Am i wrong or is he??

Full of crap :)

Ask him how would we train out dogs for obedience competitions if they could only understand 5 commands ;)

Or how do the scent dogs work, and other sporting, working dogs obey on only 5 commands etc

damn... sit, stay, drop, sit up and come... well busters done. I guess "high five" and "stand up" "leave it" "hup", "through" "weave"and "out." are me pretending he's doing them.

Maybe thats why he's only hal got roll over.

There are 6 commands in the novice obedience ring alone, then from open up you start to add retrieves, scent discrimination, seek back, send to the box, directed jump, food refusal/speak on command....have I missed anything? Plenty of UD and UDX dogs around who need to know more than 6 commands...then some of these dogs also compete in other sports. Then there are informal commands...outside, in the car, etc.

There was a study........5 years ago??? (I can look it up if interested), where a dog knew 50 commands.........abet a very smart dog.

More often that not, people speak in sentences to their dogs. One word, commands/cues are best. Not ............darling, foo foo, sit, sit, please sit...........or you will not get the special chicken treat. Please darling.............SIT SIT SIT.

Sit............make it simple.

I recall an anime when I was younger...the little animal creature things could only master 4 things, as soon as they learned another they lost a prevous one. I think your friend is confusing real life with a cartoon lol. alot of my dogs know upwards of 30-40 commands. I think someone must has forgotten to tell them that they cant know more then 5 lol

A mate tried to tell me the other day that a dog can only 'master' 5 commands. He can still learn other stuff but won't be 100% on those other commands.... :(

Apparently he has an uncle who is a dog trainer and he took his rotti for a 6month obedience/guard dog training course (not thru his uncle) and says that they told him that. I reckon hes full of it :) Am i wrong or is he??

I wonder if this could be true depending on the training/method style being used?

For example, if its a really harsh training style that lacked reward, maybe the dog can only cope with 5 commands before it starts showing avoidance to the training and then its ability to learn drops.

Dependent on the nature of the dog in question too.

:) When taking my previous dog to the vet, I was told that she had special needs "she would be a puppy for life" if she mastered sit, come and stay I would be lucky. Yes it took a lot of patiences and a few years but she turned out to be an amazing dog. If my daughter was in the paddock, I could tell her to round her up, and she would. In the end she gave her life to protect the kids from a snake which was where the kids where playing. We miss her greatly. :(

Full of crap :(

Ask him how would we train out dogs for obedience competitions if they could only understand 5 commands :)

Or how do the scent dogs work, and other sporting, working dogs obey on only 5 commands etc

There are 6 commands in the novice obedience ring alone, then from open up you start to add retrieves, scent discrimination, seek back, send to the box, directed jump, food refusal/speak on command....have I missed anything? Plenty of UD and UDX dogs around who need to know more than 6 commands...then some of these dogs also compete in other sports. Then there are informal commands...outside, in the car, etc.

I said all that to him plus about guide dogs and special needs companion dogs. He still tried to tell me that they can learn other thing but are not 100%, he reckoned only 5 commands are actually mastered meaning obeyed and completed 100%. Don't worry hes a bit of a know-all-know-nuthin ;)