Gina O'keefe Workshop

I enjoyed it, I thought the low drive session was great as it is something people do not usually concentrate much on and there was so much for people to work on. Great to see Gina get a few dogs playing whose owners said they don't like to play.

Beau had fun

Not enough time in the high drive session, I did enjoy watching the black lab in the jumping sequence, I think the handler (and me) learnt a lot from that, not you was it feralpup? I was so glad I didn't actually have to run that, looked very hard to do but will try it one day.

She also got me thinking about some training ideas I can practice with Tilly, even with a bung knee.

Even managed to get Bella a new handler for Ballarat trial if I can't run :thumbsup: Brought her down and put her to the test at lunch time and she was happy to work for another person as long as I was standing there

Edited by helen

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I enjoyed auditing the agility sessions - from the viewpoints of both an instructor and a handler.

It was great to see how the body cues from participants in the 'high drive' session improved over that jumping sequence, in both timing and position. Can't wait to try that one out!

Gina was also easy to listen to and appeared very approachable. I also liked the way that she obviously doesn't use a 'one size fits all' approach to training as some others do.

The Saturday stuff was great, especially the heel work. Love the idea of ditching heel work for loose lead walking in low level obedience classes until people want to learn competition heeling - I know how much we've struggled with the aftermath of that! :) The Open and UD level stuff was fantastic :D At least now I have some very rough ideas of whats expected and where to start!

The Sunday info was great - I agree with you Helen re: seeing some of the handlers learning to play with their low drive dogs - though I think there was quite a few in there who weren't low drive but didn't think they belonged in the high drive category. :(

Not enough time in the high drive session, I did enjoy watching the black lab in the jumping sequence, I think the handler (and me) learnt a lot from that, not you was it feralpup? I was so glad I didn't actually have to run that, looked very hard to do but will try it one day.

Yep that was me :rofl: Got kicked of the comfort zone with that one... Darcy does distance quite naturally so working her close was completely different, and I was incredibly conscious of how close she was to shutting down on me :D Definitely something I'd like to work on in my own time at training.

I must thank the lady who came up to me straight after I did that sequence and gave me some much appreciated feedback, I have a suspicion she may be a DOLer :p

I must thank the lady who came up to me straight after I did that sequence and gave me some much appreciated feedback, I have a suspicion she may be a DOLer :D

:) Sprung !

It's the teacher in me that I try to keep contained.

As I also have a dog who flies around when he can work away but has a total meltdown when asked to work close and slows right down, I can relate.

After watching other handlers yesterday, my suspicion is that I am giving very clear (almost exaggerated) signals when he is working away but I am becoming lazy when he is in close and not signalling as clearly or as early as I am from a distance.

Laffi, you might want to try Susan Garrett's website : she has a really detailed article about how to get a dog interested in playing with a toy.

We did the Obedience workshops and they were great! I learnt a lot and now have a better idea of how to get my girly to work better. Learnt a lot of new methods!

I wish I had of been there for the high drive agility clinic, Kira is certaintly high drive. Oh well hopefully there'll be another one.

Ahhhh I was right :D I twigged halfway home that it was probably you KC! :p I certainly appreciated it :rofl:

Nice to see I'm not the only one in the "meltdown" boat, with Darcy looking so much like a lab she tends to catch people out (always fun in a jumping trial :) !!). The kelpie half comes out in the behaviour, slightly less drive but she's quite sensitive and she does pick up on my nerves... :(

I reckon you've hit the nail on the head with the commands and signals - something to work on and think about when we start working more complicated courses in excellent & open in a few weeks :D With the more open courses in Novice you've always got a little bit of time and room up your sleeve, with a tight course like that one yesterday there's next to no room for error. :)

Can anyone please recap how the handlers of low drive dogs were learning to play with them?

I would love to learn more about it but I was unable to go to the workshop (I am form Brisbane)

:)

Beau was one of the low drive dogs. They were all very differnt in their individual issues, so I can only speak for my dog. He plays well at home. Loves his toys etc.... but we have never been able to harness this playful attitude at training. He is confident on all the equipment. He enjoys coming along to class, and is great to see him work when he is happy. He picks up the idea of everything very quickly, but shuts down very quickly. Has been known to put the brakes on and not work if he has had enough. All I ever get at training is an indifference to the variety of toys I rotate. Very frustrating when everyone elses dogs are tossing around tugs and balls like the life of the party, and Beau is looking a the toy he just dropped on the ground, like it had cooties (sp) :rolleyes: . He works well for food though. Often too well. He is extremely quick at working out when and where food is involved.

On Sunday, after spending an hour listening to the lecture, we were instructed to go out an make our dogs giggle. Beau was so excited to see me he "giggled" tossed that toy around like a young pup, and then just shut down on the toy thing. We then got him going on again on hide and seek with food, and the two handed tossing the food game. Gina said (correct me if I get it wrong), food is not the solution, it is just a motivational tool. I also had to work a little away from everyone else, just to give Beau a wider comfort zone.

What I need to do for Beau is to harness that initial outburst of enthusiasum, and then build on it over time, by removing Beau from my presence. No more standing around together while we wait our turn on the gear. Beau will go back to his crate in between his turns. Sounds simple, and nothing that we hadn't already realized at training, but it has never actually occured to me to simply crate him.

For me I need to learn to slow down and have confidence in his ability to look for me, and work at my speed, instead of me trying to work at his.

Gina also commented on how mean we all were at handing over the food during training. She said use lots of it and keep it coming.

post-6767-1191832057_thumb.jpg

Forgot to add, when greating Beau, instead of opening myself up to him, I have to get down and make myself small

Edited by Tesa

Gina also commented on how mean we all were at handing over the food during training. She said use lots of it and keep it coming.

I missed her say that but its great to know..... Says she who just bought over 1/2 a kg of good beef from the supermarket cos it was marked down and is currently cooking it up for dog treats..... I always feel like I overfeed her treats compared to other people at training! :)

Wow - Great to hear that soo many people loved it.... and SOO many DOLers that I didn't even know I was talking too :rolleyes: :scared: We should have a badge - i'm on DOL - are you?!?! ;)

Feralpup - so YOU had Darcy!! Since Gina has stolen Leo - can I take her?!?! I thought she was simply divine!!! PLEASSSE!!!!?!?! :thumbsup: You handled the sequence well, considering you were probably the first to be really 'critiqued' - but it really helped us 'auditors' to watch and learn how to handle it ;). Oh and I think Leo might have been one who could have slipped into the 'high drive' sessions :p :thumbsup:

I think what Dogdude meant (can't remember who asked) was that it was one-sided in the sense it was all positive? :) All I can say is that sometimes you will find that - if that is the way you train, it will be the way you teach.... the hurdles Gina got over with her own dogs might have been handled differently to how others may handle?! Thats why I love going to different seminars - you pick up all different kinds of ideas :rofl:

In terms of obedience - I absolutely love the two food game and will also find this useful for toys... infact I was playing with the dogs and this game last night and in 2 mins it had made a world of difference.... especially with getting Leo to 'connect' with the toy instantaneously (one of our issues :p )

I thought her method of teaching heeling fantastic, and though not 'new' it was great to hear that the way I was taught was as another 'guru' would execute - gives you a bit of confidence ;).

Open and UD sessions were brilliant (particularly those 'miracle' dogs that were 'fixed' in 2 seconds with their d/b work ;) ;) ). UD was great for someone who hasn't taught it yet/ been through UD yet - gives you some ideas on how to teach it RIGHT before starting.

Agility - low drive - I picked up some great ideas... particularly in terms of playing. Both of my dogs will play quite readily - but as was pointed out to me by an 'auditor' - I always reward infront (get the dog to tug infront of me).... a good point from her was to reward the dog at the side so I don't turn around :laugh:

Simply building up drive by running with the dog and getting them to chase the toy etc.... will definitely be doing more of that as well as rushing out to get a 'dead' toy, 2 food game (with toys) etc,etc. All of this IMO will help bring out more drive for MY dogs :p. Perhaps even switch Leo into 'high drive' ;)

Some great pointers on things such as:

*even if your dog did the wrong obstacle, it is NEVER wrong (and make sure it knows it!!)

*If YOU stuff up - TAKE A LINE and finish

*Be willing to trial like you train

For high drive...

Watching the sequencing course was great and unfortunately a little bit behind on time :rofl:... watching how Gina handles as well was really good also.

Just in general some really good pointers that would also benefit Leo.

On the whole it gave me a boot of confidence - thinking my dog is 'low drive'... but rather it woke me up and with a bit of work, he could be a 'high drive' agility dog - if I work on building his confidence (he can't know he is 'wrong' as it is usually me!) and getting him to 'drive' for his toys and i'm sure i'll see a huge improvement!

Sorry it's so long! Thought it would be good to sum up for those that weren't there!

Yes leopuppy04, although I knew Gina's training was geared more towards the positive side, I was not aware that she was a "purely positive" guru.

I still thought the seminar was great, and I certainly learn't heaps, and the seminar made me look very differently at my long term goals..... but I couldn't help feeling that the "two food game" was the answer to nearly everything.

I can only dream to acheive what she has as a trainer,..........but... I don't know,........perhaps I was expecting something else.

I thought her method of teaching heeling fantastic, and though not 'new' it was great to hear that the way I was taught was as another 'guru' would execute - gives you a bit of confidence :).

She does teach the basics the same but it is when there is a problem that she knows how to go a step further.

When we did an obedience seminar with her quite some time ago she noticed Bella's inclination to switch on to other things while heeling and me getting her attention back and rewarding for that. She used Bella for a demo and simply stopped the moment her attention drifted and ended the game and her attention grew much better quickly.

Dogdude, I found the 2 food game only a small part of what she teaches and she uses it as a tool to increase motivation.

She does show how she achieved what she has achieved.

Edited by helen

Yep that was me :) Got kicked of the comfort zone with that one... Darcy does distance quite naturally so working her close was completely different, and I was incredibly conscious of how close she was to shutting down on me :cheer: Definitely something I'd like to work on in my own time at training.

Where did you get Darcy from? I was very impressed.

Thanks LP & Helen :o I'm very proud of her! :(

Helen, I got Darcy as a FTGH when she was a pup, she was the result of a mismate litter between a registered Lab bitch and a stud Kelpie dog who decided that no 2m high fence was going to stop him :o The bitch was hip and elbow scored with the plan of breeding her later, but the dog had other ideas! He was supposed to be helping with the shearing at the time.... bloody boys! :happydance2: