Lure Reward Training

Sarah L

I use luring much much more than shaping.As others have mentionedI feel the Dog gets and retains it much better when he is making a choice.

The last Pup I got is an American Bulldog and has a good healthy level of Prey Drive.He responds very well to a Ball on String or Piece of Hose.I have not used any Food with him.

I used a command right from the word go,but as Kelpie-I says,each to their own.

I operated in this sequence.Lure,behaviour,command and reward. Tony

I operated in this sequence.Lure,behaviour,command and reward. Tony

Interesting that you use this sequence because if you are giving the command after the behaviour then technically there is no way that the dog can make an association - this has been scientifically tested and they could not create an association if the cue followed the behaviour. I would assume that at some point you bring the command just before the behaviour occurs.

I use luring to teach in the initial stages and prefer it to anything else for it is a KIND method. As others have said, it doesn't suit all dogs and it does have its limitations if not used correctly and the handler's timing is wrong. But luring is absolutely number one in my book for trick teaching, where a continuous schedule of reinforcement is used so extensively. But anyone using luring for obedience I reckon, just personally, that they should be carefully instructed on the schedules of reinforcement and how to implement them first, so they can get out of continuous at the right time. Much better than compulsion for most dogs but yep, doesn't suit all dogs.