Dog Psychology

Daggles

Don't shoot the dog - Karen Pryor (yet to read) :(

It's a good one, but not so much about dog psychology per se. More about how you can apply classical & operant conditioning to teach any species.

I second (third?) the recommendation for the Patricia McConnell & Bruce Fogel books.

Dr Ian Dunbar has some good books too.

Before you get your puppy

After you get your puppy

There is another of his books, but I don't have it here right now to give the title.

Susan Garret has one too I think it is called "Ruff love" from memory

More by Dunbar:

Good Little Dog Book: A Puppy Training Guide

How to Teach a New Dog Old Tricks.

ETA: Although I've read a lot of books, and while I haven't read some that are listed here, what I'm coming to realise is that while the theory may sometimes be sound, sometimes the training exercises given have weaknesses....for my application anyway.

I think this is for 2 reasons....a book cannot take into account all the variables between dog/handler combinations and also if you follow an exercise that is given by a book and its still not working, the book can't answer why its not working for you.

Edited by Rom

I have so many books, most are gathering dust, after a quick read. Nevertheless if practical steps are required, depending on your experience the others listed may be suitable.

The best short (and cheap) theory based book, IMHO, is Excel-erated learning by Pamela Reid. Compact book which covers topics very well.

There is the Steven Lindsay 3 book series for the excellent focused reader.

The Bob Bailey DVD is simply awesome!!!!!!!!!!! My husband, who dislikes and becomes bored watching dog training DVDS even sat through most of the 4 set DVDs. I was amazed.

• 7 months later...