Generalisation Or Denial?

Vickie

Not sure how to word this...

Every now & then I see/read/hear things from people about their dogs & they cling to a particular statement & I wonder is it really true? are they generalising? or are they in denial? Sometimes I think we formulate the "right" answers in our heads to questions issues commonly raised & don't really investigate whether they are true. A friend made an observation about one of my dogs a number of years ago..."No" I said vehemently. But she was right & it has made me think a little more objectively both about his behaviour as well as my denial of it. Now I often see the same behaviour in other dogs & the same denial from their owners.

Examples I have seen/heard/read:

My dog has no fears, it is solid as a rock. Maybe it is...or maybe your backyard does not provide the triggers that could bring some fears to the surface?

My dog would not bite me unless really provoked. Maybe it wouldn't...but when it gives you a bad look for doing something & you stop & back away, do you ever consider what would happen if you continued?

My dog is great with other dogs. Maybe it is...but if it met more than the same 10 dogs each week that it has grown up with, could things be different?

My dog has/would never destroyed anything in the house. What if it was either unsupervised or uncrated in the house for a period of time?

My dog loves training. Well why is it getting less enthusiastic each week?

I am sure many of us, trainers especially see & hear lots of cases where things don't add up for them & the owners are either generalising or denying. I'm seeing quite a bit of denial in agility lately in regard to physical soundness of dogs, I think the people know there is an issue, but they just can't admit it. Some of them even come up with a surprised "oh really, do you think so?" They obviously forget having the same conversation with one of my friends the week before. ;)

It would be interesting to hear some examples people have witnessed & what sort of impact they had on both the dog & the owner.

Edited by Vickie

Goooood Topic!

I vote denial for some of the stuff I see:

Someone going 'Yay' in a voice thats meant to be encouraging to the dog, but it doesn't seem to lift the dogs attitude.....then saying 'He really enjoys x' All the while the dog has the attitude of 'Yeah, whatever'. I'm thinking, 'Who are you trying to convince? Me, the dog, or yourself?' ;)

Or, persistantly trying to shove food treats in the mouth of a dog that is just not interested in the food

Or persisting with training methods and not getting anywhere, so getting rid of the dog and starting another one or giving up on training all together. The dog is broken, right?

The reason that I think it's denial is because people don't want to be percieved in a bad light, they want to be seen to be good at what they do. Also, change isn't always comfortable and its not easy to admit that you've been wrong. So some people work hard to convince themselves that everything is good.

Sadly the above is often to the detriment of the dog.

The reason that I think it's denial is because people don't want to be percieved in a bad light, they want to be seen to be good at what they do.

Also, change isn't always comfortable and its not easy to admit that you've been wrong.

So some people work hard to convince themselves that everything is good.

Oh ain't that the truth!! :laugh:

I know a few who fit that bill.

(1) But I am consistent at training ( which may last for 15 minutes ).

What about the other 23 hours and 45 minutes, or whatever time your dog spends with you/us. And when the dog is alone possibly gaining its own source of fun.

(2) But I do train my dog. One hour every day.

One hour!!!

(3) But my dog works so nicely at home.

Distraction training please.

(4) My dog won't listen to me.

Are you really listening to them?

(5) My dog loves training.

Really, it that why it looks unmotivated.

(6) Too tired, had a stressful day at work, and my dog trained terribly today.

No wonder.

etc etc etc etc.

Guest Steph & Bam

I know it's a bit off track, but still relates to denial; at work we often get dogs in a shocking state, completely matted, haven't seen a brush before etc. When we speak to the owners about it their excuse is pretty much the same across the board "Oh, but he's scared of/hates being brushed" Our response is always the same. "Repeated exposure to the sensation of being brushed or regularly being groomed means that the dog will get used to it."

Vickie, everything you have said is completely true.

EDIT: For spelling.

Edited by Steph & Bam