Curbing Houdini

joelle

Ok I need some solid advice please. Ill try my best to explain the situ in full here.

Mollie is a rescue who I have had for 3 months now. SHe is a staffy x am staff. She lives with her dogie sister Ellie who is 8 and 1/2 months and not really part of this problem, however is being affected by it. Mollie is a perfect dog in every way. except...........

She loves going for walks.........without me......

She escaped by jumping the fence in the first couple of weeks we had her, we fixed the fence problem, she can no longer jump them. We have also built the dogs a run in the garden, so they are not destructing the garden when we are out.

No problem there. However, in the house, if ANYONE doesnt make sure the fly screen shuts and clicks, she will be off.

I work 50 hours week sometimes and unfortunately not all the rest of my family members and their visiting friends are any where near as vigilant as I am.

If the wooden front door is open, you have to make sure the fly screen is locked... Sound Easy??? yeah right, when theres 4 and 5 teenagers walking in and out and a 4 yr old and 9 yr old and their friends too its a nightmare.

What it has resorted to is both dogs are locked in the run unless they go for a walk, be fed, play or the kids are in bed and OH land I let them in to have nice time. Ellie doesnt need to be out there as she has never escaped, but Mollie cries so much out there on her own that I feel awful for her so Ellie gets kicked out too :love:

Not my idea of what I wanted for a couple of pet dogs. I want them to hang round the house with us, be part of the family, lounge around with the kids etc. The confusing part is that Mollie loves to hang around with everyone, she loves to be in the middle of it all, she loves jumping in the car to go to the shop and waits patiently, she loves sitting in front garden with eldest son and his mates just chilling, she doesnt wander then. Am I painting a clear enough picture of her? SHe really is a fantastic family pet. Why oh why does she wander then??? It is causing friction as she has been caught by the ranger 3 times which is an $80 fine each time, next time it is $160. (Despite her name tag and being found 100 yds away, the ranger here likes to take her to the pound :( then ring us. Prob to teach us a lesson and get some easy cash:( OH is mightily pissed off about this and says she must go find a home with a fully fenced garden - front and back.

I am also very worried that she will either cause an accident or be hurt herself. In saying this, she appears to be very roadworthy and will walk on the inside of me when we are out, she shies away from cars. Although I know this is beside the point, she shouldnt be out there.

I am wondering if this problem is long stemmed in her, I am her 6th owner and the first 2 or 3 we dont know the history, other than one of them actually rescued her from the pound :thumbsup: so she appears to have always done it :cry: What are we not giving her, what are we missing? She appears to love us but then goes off on her own. Last weekend, we were getting ready to go for a walk and getting shoes, leads etc. With OH, myself and 2 littlies as well as the dogs it is a bit hectic getting ready, however, Mollie knew we were going out WITH HER, she was dancing and prancing round the lead, next thing, she had gone. :love: We searched for 3 hours with no luck and the next day no luck. 7pm next evening, up the drive runs Mollie happy as a lark to be home. We think someone took her in and first chance she got, she escaped and came home, so she does want to be with us. Can anyone please help, I dont want to rehome her (OH DOES ;) ) I dont want her to be hurt or anyone else and I dont want to keep paying pound fees - bloody ridiculous ons at that :( Do I have to keep her in the run all the bllody time, I think it would be to hard to train ALL MY VISITORS to click the fly screen EVERY time. especially when it is kids running in an out (Big kids mostly)

BTW, the dogs are walked at least 2 x daily 30 min on lead and 1 hour off lead in dog field, they run and run and run its great fun. theres usually only us there :( SOmetimes they are walked a 3rd time if one of is is going to the shop or just doesnt realise that they have been out. Extras include a trip to the beach in the evening or weekend (weather permitting) They get lots of play time in the garden with the boys, footy, tennis balls etc.They are fed good food, lots of water, toys readily available in the garden and the dog run, 2 comfy beds and kennel in the run. Is she searching for her original owners? I just would really appreciate some well meaning advice or suggestions please, eg, had anyone else experienced this, did anything work? WHy wont she just lie content on the couch (she does sometimes) but that one time she doesnt could be her last ;)

I really do know where you are coming from - I too own a houdini! The fence didn't work, the run didn't work BUT the electric fence (one of those radio fences) worked an absolute treat! They are a little on the expensive side but once set up and you've gone through the training program the dog is very unlikely to try to get out!

My other suggestion is perhaps do some training with her during the day to give her a little more stimulation. Some obedience or trick training for a few minutes a few times a day will help tire her out and also get her brain working a bit!

Good luck with her and I do hope you can sort things out! :thumbsup:

Guest Piximatosis

What about using some baby gates? My big idiot dog Holly will scale 8 foot fencing in order to run off and steal the neighbour's wheelie bins but she won't jump over a baby gate if there's one in her way :cry:

If your doglet is the same then maybe set some of those up around the place - your teenagers should be able to just step over them without moving them (I'm a shortass and I manage) and your 4 year old could just be lifted if necessary as there would be someone near him/her all the time surely.

Just a possibility :thumbsup: