Canine Disc

• 3 months later...

Ok disc enthusiasts, welcome to 2008.

How's everyone going with training?

And to pass on some exciting news:

I would like to let you all know that BARK will be hosting a Special New Canine Disc Event during the weekend of 3rd - 5th May 2008.

I would urge all Canine Disc Fanatics to keep this weekend free so you can attend this Competition.

I will let you all know as more information comes to hand, but it is going to be a very exciting weekend for Canine Disc.

Oh I'm intrigued! :cry:

HAPPY NEW YEARS TO ALL]

I would like to let you all know that BARK will be hosting a Special New Canine Disc Event during the weekend of 3rd - 5th May 2008.

I would urge all Canine Disc Fanatics to keep this weekend free so you can attend this Competition.

I will let you all know as more information comes to hand, but it is going to be a very exciting weekend for Canine Disc.

looking forward to it... should be a very busy weekend for me there is a 3 day ADAA agility trial as well on the same weekend... desicions desicions...

as for training not much happening latley... some toy retrieves with my new puppy, and some R&R for the other three since our trip to Bundy for New Years... planning on heading down to the local field this afternoon for some Frisbee action with the dogs... will be introducing the disc to my pup he is retreiving toys really well so hopefully he will bring the disc back as well...

Edited by bordacollies4me

Ok disc enthusiasts, welcome to 2008.

How's everyone going with training?

Oh I'm intrigued! :cheer:

Hmmm......have to try and fit it all in that weekend as well.

Can't wait for the first event of the year!! It's been far too long.

CK is turning into a great disc dog, I can't believe the drive and focus he's developed (I think he's still scarred by Damian asking if he really was a border collie :cheer: ), not to mention how well he is catching :shrug: . Xena is also coming along really well after our little problems - wouldn't catch or return the disc!!!! :p :p She's catching everything she could be expected to and now brings it back most of the time, but occasionally decides there is something more exciting than a dead frisbee on the ground and heads off to investigate! The solutions are either more training for her or to improve my throwing so that she never misses the frisbee!! :thanks:

Looking forward to seeing everyone. I might even be able to talk Malina into having a go this year - she's been practising in the park of a morning!

Tony, CK, Xena and Malina

I was sooooo excited the other day because I was throwing the disc for Whisper & Jonty raced over to it & grabbed at it in the air & tried to catch it!!! :eek::shrug: :p :eek: :p

Only problem is that Whisper came along & said "That's MY disc!!" & grabbed it off him & Jonty hasn't tried again since :thanks::(:cheer::cheer::(

Laffi started catching the frisbee as well :confused::eek: Only a couple of times :rofl: did she catch it in the air but it's a start. She still loves her tennis balls more so I have to build up the value for the frisbee.

looking forward to it... should be a very busy weekend for me there is a 3 day ADAA agility trial as well on the same weekend... desicions desicions...

as for training not much happening latley... some toy retrieves with my new puppy, and some R&R for the other three since our trip to Bundy for New Years... planning on heading down to the local field this afternoon for some Frisbee action with the dogs... will be introducing the disc to my pup he is retreiving toys really well so hopefully he will bring the disc back as well..

Well I don't know any more details than posted but if there's agility that weekend too, maybe it's combined and you'll be able to do both!

Hmmm......have to try and fit it all in that weekend as well.

Can't wait for the first event of the year!! It's been far too long.

CK is turning into a great disc dog, I can't believe the drive and focus he's developed (I think he's still scarred by Damian asking if he really was a border collie :( ), not to mention how well he is catching :rofl: . Xena is also coming along really well after our little problems - wouldn't catch or return the disc!!!! :D :( She's catching everything she could be expected to and now brings it back most of the time, but occasionally decides there is something more exciting than a dead frisbee on the ground and heads off to investigate! The solutions are either more training for her or to improve my throwing so that she never misses the frisbee!! :D

Looking forward to seeing everyone. I might even be able to talk Malina into having a go this year - she's been practising in the park of a morning!

Tony, CK, Xena and Malina

I don't think the schedule has quite been worked out yet but the first event should be mid-February - so not too much longer a wait.

CK and Xena sound like they're ready.

I was sooooo excited the other day because I was throwing the disc for Whisper & Jonty raced over to it & grabbed at it in the air & tried to catch it!!! :hug::confused::eek::o:rofl:

Only problem is that Whisper came along & said "That's MY disc!!" & grabbed it off him & Jonty hasn't tried again since :love: ;) :):clap::mad

:) Yay Jonty! Hopefully some one on one training may make him comfortable enough to try again.

Laffi started catching the frisbee as well :rofl: :D Only a couple of times :p did she catch it in the air but it's a start. She still loves her tennis balls more so I have to build up the value for the frisbee.

That's because she becoming a big girl now, she's ready for big girl games. ;)

So glad to hear from you all, I'd better get out and practice some more too!

• 1 month later...

Commencing 1st March 2008, teams can earn legs towards a new title introduced by the Australian Canine Disc Association (ACDA).

Frisbee® Dog Games (FDG) Award.

Achievement of the FDG award demonstrates that the canine disc team demonstrates a versatile array of canine disc game skills, including accurate throwing and a quick retrieve. The FDG Award is achieved when a team achieves five qualifying scores in games, including at least 1 qualifying score in Accuracy, at least 1 qualifying score in Time Trial, and at least 1 qualifying score in a different game. Unlike the FDA, FDE and FDM, the FDG is a cumulative title, which means it can be earned multiple times. This means that after a team has earned their FDG they can then start accumulating legs towards an FDG2. Theoretically, a team can earn FDG20 or higher.

In the Accuracy Game, there are three circle zones centred 10 metres, 15 metres and 25 metres away from the throwing line. Teams score 1 point each time the dog makes a catch with at least one paw on or inside the line of a marked circle zone with a 4 metre diameter, the centre of which is located 10 metres from the throwing line. Teams score 3 points each time the dog makes a catch with at least one paw on or inside the line of a marked circle zone with a 5 metre diameter, the centre of which is located 15 metres from the throwing line. Teams score 5 points each time the dog makes a catch with at least one paw on or inside the line of a marked circle zone with a 7 metre diameter, the centre of which is located 25 metres from the throwing line. The circle zones will not be in a straight line. The precise position of the circles will be revealed on the competition day. A team's first throw can only score in the 10 metre scoring zone (1 point). A team's second throw can only score in the 15 metre scoring zone (3 points). A team's third throw can only score in the 25 metre scoring zone (5 points). Subsequent throws can score in any of the three scoring zones. The time limit for this fun event is 60 seconds, in which teams can make as many throws and scoring catches as they like. The qualifying score in the Accuracy Game for earning a leg towards the Frisbee® Dog Games (FDG) Award is a minimum of 9 points.

The objective of the Time Trial Game is to make 3 catch and retrieves beyond 10 metres within a 60 second time limit. The team that completes this objective in the fastest time wins. Time stops when the dog crosses the throwing line after making their third catch beyond 10 metres. The qualifying score in the Time Trial Game for earning a leg towards the Frisbee® Dog Games (FDG) Award is a maximum of 40 seconds.

You will have an opportunity to participate in the Accuracy and Time Trial games during the Dogmania weekend. Everything you should need to know about the Dogmania Canine Disc Classic and the inaugural Australian Canine Disc National Championships is available online now from www.adaa.com.au/dogmania. Early entries close 31st March 2008.

Other games formats will be devised and introduced at future events. I have already been given one or two good ideas and if you have a suggestion for a fun type of game that rewards canine disc performance you are welcome to contact me at [email protected].