Freezing Food/ice Cubes?

Rainey

Last night I made some frozen peanut butter+natural yoghurt cubes for Scud, to use as a treat now and again.

Today I read on justlabradors.com that ice cubes can be a hazard for dogs, is there any truth to this, and if so, would my frozen yoghurt cubes also be a hazard? I was thinking possibly a choking hazard but this person says that they have other effects on a 'hot' dog's stomach.

I've been thinking about it more and lots of people suggest freezing foods inside Kongs etc, so I'm assuming what I've done can't be THAT bad? He's only had one so far with no problems.

Edited by Rainey

I would assume that it would be if your dog is particularly 'hot' or just had excessive exercise it would be an issue???

I haven't had a problem yet, and feed frozen stuff a lot..... I would have thought that since they are digesting/eating it slower, it wouldn't cause any problems.....

I've never heard of it before though!

My two get an ice cube (just water) every day, have done since they were little and teething; it seemed to soothe their sore gums. They love them now and think they're getting a treat. Sadly, I can't make a G & T without getting pestered.

I can't see how 1 ice cube could cause bloat. I've never heard that before, either.

Excellent thanks for the advice guys 'n gals! He seems to really love these treats so it would be a shame to stop giving them to him. I'd say this bloat is a very rare condition that only affects a few dogs.

Edited by Rainey

Actually Rainey bloat is a BIG DEAL!

A major problem for large deep chested dogs, they can die from it fairly quickly. There is conflicting research into what causes bloat and what will reduce the risks.

I know a few people who have had dogs die from bloat, and a couple who have had dogs bloat and survive.

Hi

I volunteer at a rspca shelter and they always rest there dogs for an hour before food and an hour after food to avoid the risk of bloat. They told me big chested dogs are more likely to get it than the small ones.

The volunteers make up ice blocks every day and give them to the dogs so there can't be much wrong with it if they do it, I give my gsd ice blocks all the time and he loves them.