Shampoo / Condition / Flea Rinse

I am just about to start my own mobile grooming business and was wandering what shampoos and stuff

groomers recommend.

I was given some Rural West K9 Kare insecticide shampoo which brings my dogs coat up great and smells really good but is this ok to use all the time ? or should i just use it as a flea rinse ?

Oooooh so many questions ...

:banghead:

Edited by Muckypup

Muckypup you'll need a few shampoos and a conditioner to deal with different types of coats.

I'd suggest you look at:

A general one

One for sensitive skins

One for longer coats - maybe with a conditioner in it.

One for white coats.

A good quality conditioner

I'd not be wanting my dogs bathed in a flea prevention shampoo unless I asked for it. A lot of people use oral or spot treatments for fleas or none at all.

Have you done any courses on dog grooming?

I'd suggest you buy something that's a concentrate you can dilute with water. Any of the bigger grooming supply places will have several ranges to consider.

Muckypup you'll need a few shampoos and a conditioner to deal with different types of coats.

I'd suggest you look at:

A general one

One for sensitive skins

One for longer coats - maybe with a conditioner in it.

One for white coats.

I'd not be wanting my dogs bathed in a flea prevention shampoo unless I asked for it. A lot of people use oral or spot treatments for fleas or none at all.

Have you done any courses on dog grooming?

I'd suggest you buy something that's a concentrate you can dilute with water. Any of the bigger grooming supply places will have several ranges to consider.

Hi Poodlefan

yes i have done salon based training and they used loads of different shampoos and conditioners as you suggested. I just wandered if anyone could recommend any before i go out and get some.

The person i got the K9 shampoo from said she used it as her main shampoo all the time, she raved about how good it was but after reading the bottle and your comments i am sure she was just trying to make a sale (i bought my trailer from her).

sorry to hijack this thread, but poodlefan, what good quality conditioner would you recommend?

My dog is losing his puppy coat and although he is very short haired - the new hair is much more rough and I think a bit of conditioner might help the hair look a bit smoother.

Currently I wash him with rudduck's puppy and massage a bit of jojoba oil into his coat afterwards.

sorry to hijack this thread, but poodlefan, what good quality conditioner would you recommend?

For a smooth coated dog? Errrkk - I'd probably just use a squirt of coat oil into a litre of warm water and pour it over (don't rinse) or use a condtioning shampoo.

I like Oakwood, Fidos and Plush Puppy products. Fidos would probably be the easiest to find. Their white enhancing shampoo would be good on your pup (smells great) and I'm sure there's a conditioner. I dilute that into water, pour it over the coat, massage it in and rinse it out.

I don't have a smooth coated dog though - probably best to ask a groomer or showie.

Edited by poodlefan

I use Fido's - I like the oatmeal one and I also use Earthly Extracts Shampoo.

I found with some of the shampoos they brought my hands and arms out in rashes (My skin's pretty sensitive and doesn't like alot of things!) but the Earthly Extracts shampoo I have been using in my dog washing business for 3 years and haven't had a problem with it.

My clients like the smell of both Fido's and Earthly extracts too.

Shampoo: Aloveen for sensitive skin

Natural for normal skin (both from Dermcare)

Aloveen Leave in Conditioner. (Dermcare)

Flea/ Tick Rinse: Permoxin (by Dermcare)

Whitening Shampoo: Champion Tails

The Dermcare range is one of the few products which don't give me eczema.

Whatever you end up using, make sure it's soap free so that you don't strip the dogs top spots!

This seems like a good place to ask a question about quantities.

Have finally ordered the hydrobath I have been dreaming about for years and wondering how much shampoo should I put into the wash water.

I am a big plush puppy user for shows and fidos for non show baths. Have also just started using Equinade horse shampoo for my white girl.

I don't like putting the shampoo in the water, purely by personal choice though.

I like to rinse the dog with clean water first and its then a bit difficult to get shampoo into the tank while a massive dog is standing on the lid ;) I just shampoo the dog myself and then wash. When I wash the shampoo comes back up through the water anyway, then I finish off with a final rinse with clean wwater.

Hi Trina, you do add the shampoo to the water (it's a personal preference I suppose) that is the design of the hydrobaths.

It depends on the shampoo as to how much to add. Some you need to use a lot more that others. With Aloveen I have found a needed a little more than say Natural or Fidos as it doesn't suds as well, so I mix Aloveen with Natural to make it go a long way. Just play around with it until you are happy with the suds factor . I soap with the hydrobath but then also scrub by hand using more soap, then rinse.

I would say Fidos has the same 'sudsing factor' as Natural. I have been told that four pumps of Natural is adequate but I usually use about 8. I find the shampoo tends to go further if you can get it in a pump bottle that way you don't lose 'glumps' of it down the drain from your hand, lol.