First Ever Obedience Trial (ccd)

Just a quick report on our first ever trial and a query at the end.

It was a double trial and I was talked into doing both AM and PM. My results in the AM had me with an NQ with the heel work (amongst other things she didn't do the first drop, and then on the 2nd did so with glacial slowness). Stand for examination (which I thought was our weakpoint as she has a tendancy to want to jump up and kiss noses :laugh: ) went well with a score of 8, however I fluffed the recall (my fault) by putting too much exuburance into the 'come' command and she raced to me so fast she ran past me! Oooops! Rock solid on the stays tho.

OK the PM trial - seemed to have good focus till I entered the ring and then is was 'sniff heavan' for her. Although this time she did her drops/stands/etc well, the heeling was a dogs breakfast - so strike 2 for heeling! Did fine on the the examination (again) and the recall (this time) was good. In chatting with the judge and him then knowing it was her very first trial, he suggested that just the morning may have been enough for her first time as it is very tiring - so without having a qualifying score to worry about (and she just flopped once I got out of the ring and sat down) I ended up asking to scratch her from the rest of the trial.

The day was a HUGE learning curve - even after being informed in the AM session that I was not to touch the dog once in the ring I still did it in the PM (with an 'ooops, sorry, I'm not meant to do that am I?").

All in all there is no disappointment from not getting a qualifying score and we both had an interesting (but tiring) day. I brought her home early and she much enjoyed her Sunday bone.

Now here is my query - ok we stuffed up but the judges were SO nice explaining stuff and being understanding that we were total newbies (and also VERY nervous, most particlarly in the AM session). Yes they took the marks off (as they should!), but it really helped that they explained and were understanding and kind (and also smiled and had a sense of humour).

Yet the whole 'obedience trialling' thing seems to have this HUGE "serious" side (iykwim) where the preception is that judges won't smile about snafus or give you handy feedback.

So did I just get lucky with these two judges? Or is this 'perception' wrong?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats on getting the first one out of the way! Its always nerve wracking....i still havent conquered my nerves haha

I would say the perception is wrong especially in the lower classes, (havent been in higher classes so no idea)

In my first trial i went terrible, i think i failed every exercise :laugh: but the judge was so nice and friendly about it, explained that I not the dog needed more ring practice as i was basically shaking with nervousness. Have never met a mean judge in any sport other then showing.

Best of luck for the next one, have you entered any more?

Hi KismetKat,

Did you do Moorabbin's trials? I was there with Freya this afternoon.

Since we began trialling, we have found all the CCD judges to be very helpfull and very good with picking up our faults. They want you to improve and come back. Have only done about 7 trials (for 2 passes!) all depends on Freya's mood on the day. Today, when sitting on a pass for everything else, she decided to drop on her sit stay, I think it was too warm for her in the sun.

Don't get too despondant, keep training and enjoy your dog.

Capash - No I wasn't despondent, I always figured for my first trial a qualifying pass would be a bonus (alas one I didn't get *sigh* :laugh: ) And Yes it was Moorabbin which is my local club - so the experience was helped by having people around that I knew.

Toller - have not entered anywhere else - was waiting to get this first one under my belt. That being said I am NOT an 'early riser' and would not be looking at going too far afield. Re training I have actually moved across to Agility (which being an excitable sort, my dog really loves) but would be nice to have a CCD title (at some stage) under my belt.

Am glad to hear that CCD judges are generally so encouraging - part of what scared me off obedience was the preception of it being extremely strict and unfriendly - honestly I don't mind failing when I know I haven't done what is needed and the judges are helpful and friendly in pointing me in the right direction.

Hiya Kismetkat

Congratulations on participating in your first trial! Who cares about the pass or fail :laugh:

I've been in a few trials now (a few to know a bit, but not that many) and in all honesty - i've only come across ONE judge who would not elaborate or be friendly to me in the ring. Everyone else has been fantastic, praised where praise is needed and offered advice where that too is needed. Mind you - I prefer it if they do this at the end and not take too long as otherwise the dogs switch off.... but I do appreciate it all the same! I even had one judge come up to me after presentation to talk to me!! I thought that was absolutely lovely - and he *did* have a lot of valid and useful points!

I don't think they are as bad as they are made out to be :mad

Congratulations on your first trial!! I'm hoping to start soon - just got to get over the fear! :laugh:

Was it at Moorabbin? I dropped by there in the afternoon but I only got to catch the group stays.. It was good to see the judge was really nice and explained everything to the participants!

Hi I had my first trial in the weekend as well, it was a dogs breakfast :mad partly my awful handling mistakes and Midgetguts not liking the wet conditions, just think things can only get better, my judge was nice as well the majority are I have been told,although the steward asked me if I had a rule book :laugh::laugh: I got a grand score of 30/100 :mad

Congratulations on your first trial!! I'm hoping to start soon - just got to get over the fear! :)

Well after my experience on Sunday (and yes it was at Moorabbin) I would say don't worry about the fear. Easier said than done I know.

I wasn't scared beforehand (probably because I was not expecting a qualifying score anyway - but perhaps that is NOT the attitude to have :D ) but once there the butterflies in the tummy... and they only got worse once I entered my first ring. And of course, your dog can smell all this.

So take heart Kowai - the judges aren't monsters afterall (as atested in this thread) - so enter with the idea of it being fun, a learning experience for you both, and just BE CONFIDENT! That would be my advice after my first ever trial. And dogs are dogs - so keep your sense of humour, and remember the judge has one too.

I would also rec you take my 2nd judges advice and if it IS a double day to only enter once. Some other dog owners on the day were saying to me that the extra experience was good for my dog, but in retospect I really think I just should have entered for the morning and left it at that. Just being around such a busy atmosphere is emotionally tiring on your dog, so limit their exposure for that first time round and don't worry about ideas of being two thirds to the way to a title in a single day. That being said, if you are on a NOT on a qualifying score in a single trial, I think STILL go the distance and stay for the stays (which some NQ handlers didn't on Sunday morning) - it's all part of the experience and learning. Yes I scratched my dog in the afternoon session from the stays - but she'd already performed these well in the AM. Why put her thru it again for a (potential) score of 73? Her stays are fine - and she was happy to come home to her sunday bone.

Good luck Kowai :thanks:

First thing - well done on at least giving it a go :shrug:.

Now my two cents on a few things - I have been told by some top level obedience trainers/triallers that if the dog is not qualifying after the individual stuff withdraw the dog from stays. So many things can go wrong in stays especially at CCD level that there is no point in putting your dog through them unneccesarily in a trial. You can't reward (or correct) so why do them.

On the issue of double obedience trials - we don't have any here but again these same people have said to me even with Ness at the state she is at with her obedience not to push my luck on a double trial (i.e. two days running of obedience) let alone 2 on the one day. Unless your dog is one of the few super motivated (working breeds in particular but I am sure there are other breeds that fit this - those that are on the go constantly) the second run always tends to be the flatter of the two performances.

Congratulations on your first trial!

I have been trialling for almost 2 years and have found the judges to be very helpful and full of different suggestions. I have only ever come across 1 lady judge (not from my state) who scared the pants off me and my dog.

I still remember my first trial, drove all the way to Geelong (3hr) and it was pouring with rain. I was so nervous I think I probably lost 5kg on my way to the trial. Dog did ok but I walked like a drunken sailor :shrug:

Have fun and good luck in the future!

With double trials, i ideally like to do both with both dogs, would enter both and then decide after the first one what to do for the afternoon.

I dont find obedience as exhausting as agility and flyball, so i dont expect my dogs to be tired either......though for my second trial in agility with Darcy i entered 4 classes for the whole day and i wont be doing that again!!! Whereas Nova could do that easily..

So it really depends on the dog whether to do doubles.

Our first ever trial was a double, and we didn't have too much trouble. Darcy can be a bit of an everready bunny though.

I make sure that she goes back to the car or the crate for a nap in between trials. I tend to get her out just long enough to comfortably toilet her, rouse her up and pretty much walk into the ring without too much panic time-wise.

So many things to respond to... :shrug:

laffi - it was the trial secretary who recomended I do both - I had sent in my entry (not realising it was a double) and she rang me. She talked me into entering both (of course the 'lure' was to get two thirds to a CCD title in one day) with the idea that for the sake of $8 I could always scratch for the afternoon. Reason I didn't scratch her is that the errors in the morning were basically mine - so I went for 2nd bite of the cherry.

One thing I did note - of the dogs I watched almost all of them performed worse in the PM trial.

Ness - the one thing I was confident about was the stays - so didn't feel this was pushing it in the morning trial (afterall, my dog didn't know she had NQ'd! :rofl: ). The reason I didn't stay for them in the arvo was there was no over-riding reason why we should (no qualifying pass so far) and she was obvbiously tired (flaked out on her side after the heeling etc. round). What was good is that I corrected my earlier handler mistakes. Her heeling (for want of a better word for a dog with its nose down going all over the place) may have been appalling but at least she was dropping/sitting/standing as required - she also did a great recall. If we had stayed for the stays and her performance for those was her usual,our afternoon session would have seen an NQ score of 73 - much improved from the morning's 59!

Funny thing is - 3 mins before we entered the ring I did a little practice and she heeled like a trooper! But for some reason once we entered the ring she lost all focus and went into 'beagle mode' with her nose down.

So my feelings are:-

1) On the one hand I am happy to have at least tried the PM trial as I could correct my AM mistakes

2) On the other hand I wish I hadn't as it made for a too long and exciting day for my dog (even tho the day didn't seem that exciting and I gave her chillout time at home)

3) I am happy that I scratched her when I did and don't feel it should have been earlier

4) I would not recomend a double trial to newbies at CCD

Well like I said KK its just my thoughts and my girl is a seasoned open dog and I still wouldn't enter her back to back trials - let alone 2 in one day. I have however happily ran her in up to 6-7 runs of agility in a day its just different.

As for stays you misinterrpreted me - YOUR dog might be fine but it only takes one other dog to break and disturb your dog in some way and yes it does happen with fair regularity in CCD which might cause your dog to be suffer ongoing problems as a result. I know of dogs being mounted by other dogs as well as attacked all during stays which have caused otherwise realible staying dogs to have problems further down the track.

Well like I said KK its just my thoughts and my girl is a seasoned open dog and I still wouldn't enter her back to back trials - let alone 2 in one day. I have however happily ran her in up to 6-7 runs of agility in a day its just different.

As for stays you misinterrpreted me - YOUR dog might be fine but it only takes one other dog to break and disturb your dog in some way and yes it does happen with fair regularity in CCD which might cause your dog to be suffer ongoing problems as a result. I know of dogs being mounted by other dogs as well as attacked all during stays which have caused otherwise realible staying dogs to have problems further down the track.

Ness - the thing is I had NO idea that a back to back double could be problem - it was my FIRST trial. After this experience my rec is NOT to do it :rofl:

As for doing the stays after not getting a good score - can you explain further? My dog didn't know we 'failed' heeling - so what diff to do the stays in the AM trial? Stays could have been mucked up by others even if we had passed the earlier stuff. In the AM trial she was working well, the errors were basically mine :shrug:

Oh I wasn't being hard on you just explaining my reasoning for those yet to take the plunge. Yep I probably would have in the dark past as well so don't take it as criticism on my part of you merely to serve as notice to others who may read the thread.

You are correct the dog doesn't know it mucked up but its more the case of why risk an unforeseen accident caused by another dog mucking up (in a way which might effect your dog) when your dog isn't on a passing score. You take enough of a risk when it is.

Take for example a recent one that I know a friend trialling in CCD suffered with her dog (who was actually on a passing score at the time) in this circumstance (some breed of dog which is irrelevant really) decided to give this friends dog a rather rude sniff and caused this dog to break. It was allowed to redo stays and fortunately it stayed the second time round. Another example is under the old novice a friends sheltie had another larger breed come and stand over it during the stay. This dog suffered problems in stays for a few months as a result.

I would have in the past - never had to since we passed all our trials straight anyway but knowing what I know now and from having spoken with a number of people over in WA on the issue I just wouldn't. Everybody is entitled to there own views and thats just me. It seems to be much more common in the Eastern States (SA included). I think a lot of Western Australia triallers wouldn't put a non-qualifying dog into stays but that goes with the training philosophy of setting the dog up for success and why chance something happening during stays when your dog isn't passing.

Ness - Ok I see what you mean. And in future trials I now think I would definitely follow your advice.

That being said I am still happy I did stay for the stays though as, for my first trial, I really needed to have the experience of what happens. Also there was the advantage of being on home club ground and, although the dog on one side was a stranger (but quite an old dog), the dog on the other was one I knew well. She too is solid in her stays and both dogs work very well together in class - no reactivity, no playfullness, just quiet work. Thus I felt very confident we'd get thru the stays.

Hmmm hows this for a future strategy? If it's a double enter in the arvo only - have a big sleep-in with my dog and then arrive nice and fresh while the other dogs are tired out from the morning. Aside from anything else it would mean I wouldn't have to get up at sparrow-fart! :shrug:

Hey KK - hmm not such a stupid idea if you find your dogs need there 10 hours sleep and don't like being woken up with a weekend lay in. Not to mention if the handler likewise prefers to sleep in. Again depends on the dog. Some dogs don't like trialling in the afternoon because it tends to be warmer and they wake up ready to go first thing in the morning. If your dog is an afternoon dog then go for it.

If you want to do a little experiment what I find is take your dog out on a normal non trial weekend (if you don't train on a weekend or even still) and train at different times. Sometimes in the morning and sometimes in the afternoon. If you elect to go in the afternoon treat the morning as you would a trial morning - i.e. I don't feed my girl till after she has trialled or walk her before a trial. See if this effects the dogs standard and which is better.

In the end its all down to what the dog prefers.

Then of course there is the matter of making sure your dog is appropriately "switched on" - either up or down depending on the dog to perform with enthusiasm. This is where its good to know exactly how much you need to warm the dog up before competing. Do you do heelwork or just grab the dog from the crate and take it in. All about experimenting at training and seeing what works for your dog. Going to a trial with plan A and then modifying it as necessary in subsequent trials - all the top handlers no doubt have individual formula for their dogs and no two dogs are the same.

Best advice is stick with it and enjoy yourself as there is always another trial if things turn pearshaped and of course you always take the best dog home again at the end of the day :shrug: .

Edited by ness