Older Dog Accepting Puppy

poodle3081

I have a 6 year old male toy poodle and have just added a female toy poodle puppy to the family. The older poodle loves other dogs and when we are out cant wait to get to them, but he will not have anything to do with the new puppy. Will he come around in time and are there any suggestions on how to encourage him.

Edited by poodle3081

I had a similar experience with adding a standard poodle pup when we had a 6 year old mini poodle. Mini had always got on well with other dogs, even when a friends dog was here for 6 weeks, but took about 4 weeks to really settle down with our new addition. He was even snappy with the pup at times- all show, no actual biting- fortunately. Now they're best of mates. It seemed to help that the mini has remained the boss, with the standard happy about it all.

I tried to make sure not spend too much extra time with the pup- not the older dog- though they DO need extra time with toilet training etc. The older dog would also have walk time with me and the pup didn't come along.

They're probably just settling in and getting used to the new arrangements. A trainer told me the older dog doesn't often realise the new dog is there to stay until about 6 weeks after their arrival.

My lab took a good week and a half before he would have anything to do with my newest dog. I was surprised, because he was our first dog, and we had already added a 2nd, and he had accepted the 2nd dog no problems. By the time we got a the 3rd (a year or so later), he must have forgotten what a puppy looked like. He was frightened of her, growled at her (not aggression, just a warning to stay away), and wouldn't have anything to do with her. If she came into the room, he'd get up and leave. We kept an eye on them, but let them sort it out. And they did :laugh:

Just give your older dog the time he needs to get used to the newcomer. Don't leave them unsupervised, but don't fuss over them either. Just let them sort out the new pack order. And remember to give your older dog some special attention and don't spend all your time focussing on the newcomer.

Just give your older dog the time he needs to get used to the newcomer. Don't leave them unsupervised, but don't fuss over them either. Just let them sort out the new pack order. And remember to give your older dog some special attention and don't spend all your time focussing on the newcomer.

Good advice. My 6 year old took two full weeks to accept a new pup. He hated her at first, and growled whenever she came within 6 feet of him.

Two weeks later and she was walking all over him, licking his face and his ears without a complaint from him at all. She still does it two years later. I think he enjoys the adulation :laugh::mad

There's a big difference for dogs to accept other dogs occasionally as playmates - but they seem to sense when it is a new member of the pack and it takes awhile for them to get used to it - my 18 month old too a week to fully relax towards out new puppy. It's a mixture of asserting where they are in the pack and getting used to living with them 24/7. It should work out alright but show your olds dog that this new one belongs to you - don't ask it's permission to let the puppy into the pack; it's your pack and your puppy and your dog - they follow your rules.

take all the dogs for frequent walks together.. at the same time.. big long sexy walks..

packs travel.. i found that the most affective way for all your dogs to esablish whos part of the pack.

You can't take baby puppies on long walks for several reasons. Not a good idea.

What is a "sexy" walk? (pertaining to dogs, that is)

Edited by Toohey