Adult Litter Mates

I think they would

Leo met his litter sister at 12mths that he hadn't seen since he left the breeders house - I didn't even know it was his sister - but the way (both of them) responded when they saw each other made me think maybe they *do* remember? We were at agility - the dogs met at the start of class (briefly) then went to separate sheds...... We couldn't get any sense out of either or them :)

Guest Clover

I have two litter mates, brother and sister. Elvis came to me as a 7 week old pup, 2 years later his sister arrived as a 'foster' (she never did find another home :rofl: ). Elvis acted like he remembered her and excepted her into the 'pack' pretty much strait away (after one little tiff). Tinny was too upset the first week to take much notice of Elvis but they definitely act like naughty twins now.

So to answer your question, i realy am not sure if they remember or not :(.

Edited by Clover

Don't know if they recognise they are siblings, but perhaps that they smell familiar?

My oldest boy regulary meets with his full litter brother at flyball, goes nuts over him, they had seen each other maybe once up until a year ago when we started to go to flyball competitions so they see each other on a regular (once a month) occurance.

Both dogs act nutty when they see other Tollers, though Nova has a special excitement reserved for his brother, it could be because they are very similiar in shape/size but who knows maybe they know who the other dog actually is?

From what I have read siblings can identify that another is related, by scent. Doesn't mean they'll necessarily be thrilled to see each other in each and every case, so please don't assume this.

Edited by Erny

When Nova met her brother after some 3-4 years apart both myself and the owner of her sibling noticed a vast difference in their behaviour that lead us to conclude that they most likely remembered each other :cry:

I find it odd that people think it isn't possible :thumbsup:

Does anyone know if two litter mates are rehomed seperately and then re-introduced as adults do they remember each other?

Whether they remember each other or not

litter mates re-introduced as adults will be dogs meeting as adults, not puppies -

with adult ideas about territory, social status and moreover what they have learned about the world from their past/upbringing etc.

Two rescue female CAOs sisters found their way to me at 3yo

I owned their litterbrother.

If there was any memory between them it was not evident.

No happy families here -

ultimately the most submissive female could coexist with the male -

but it was more like a tense cease fire agreement -

the most hostile to her brother's company, but more stable female, was able to be successfully rehomed on her own.

NB: the most hostile female and the male, were close playmates as babies.

Even if dogs do remember their litter mates, I think it is their lives and upbringing that followed a shared puppy hood which influences whether or not they will get along as adults, as opposed to any memory.

:thumbsup:

Edited by lilli

Thanks for all the responses :thumbsup: Lili thats what i was wondering actually as i have a foster comming back as an adult who may be either fostered or rehomed to a family who has her sibling. Depending of course on how they react to each other.

my unce had a kepie that i just clicked with. I moved away from that town about 8 years ago. But when i go back every 2-3 years, i think he remembers me. So i think it woudl be the same dog to dog.

He is the reason I fell for Kelpies.