Performance Dogs - Chiro's

34 members have voted

1. 1. How many people take their performance dogs to a Chiro (or similar) and under what circumstances?

• Yes - Regular Checkup
    • Yes - Injury Only
    • No

Just curious as to whether people who complete in performance activities of any form (herding/flyball/agility/obedience/tracking/ lure coursing) take their dogs to chiros or similar and under what circumstances. So for example would you take your dog just for a routine check up regardless of any visible injury just to make sure all is ok or only when there is a definite suspicion of injury (dog limping or obviously sore).

Would any decision also be age dependant so while you might not frequently take a youngster as the dog was reaching the upper end of competition age - or as our obedience club would consider for there trials veterans (7 years or older) would you consider it of more importance.

Edited by ness

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't take for regular check ups unless I had a concern. We know our own dogs better than anyone so we know what something is not quite right.

Probably not the answer you wanted. :thumbsup:

Yes, my dogs are checked monthly. I get them done from the time I get them as pups and my retiree is still done too.

I see chiropractic checks ups as preventative, not just curative. I've seen a mildly cowhocked pup straighten up a lot with some regular chiro.

My dogs also get regular massage.

Edited by poodlefan

Thanks poodlefan - interesting. Can you tell I am a bit of skeptic (or overly worried) and didn't want to seem like a complete fool if there was nothing the matter.

Ness, I think it's important to remember that many dogs will not display signs of pain until they are in quite some level of it. I take my dogs to an appropriately qualified person, not just any quack that's thrown up a shingle and cracked a few dogs.

I see a chiro myself so call me a convert. I understand that many people are skeptical but I see the results of good chiro too often to doubt it myself.

I can tell you that any good chiro is going to be a lot happier tweaking a basically sound dog and not a dog that's got a chronic problem.. .my human chiro is the same.

ETA: My youngest dog has been done from the time he was 3 months old and frequently doesn't require adjustment. .

Edited by poodlefan

I worked as vet nurse for years, yet our vet used to send some people's dogs to amazing elderly chiro man over in Northern Suburbs Melb. This guy is one of natures gifted healers from all accounts. He used to charge some paltry sum like five bucks. I believe he is still practicing. I've never taken my girl to a manipulator/chiro until recently. She has trouble on and off with a muscle in hind leg - that was all, so I thought. This guy I went to was brilliant. He is vet too. He manipulated her back and afterwards, I noticed how much better she ran and jumped even though she hadn't displayed any signs of problem before. I would highly recommend a visit every few months just to make sure all is okay, to someone recommended by other people you know in the dog world :thumbsup:

our vet used to send some people's dogs to amazing elderly chiro man over in Northern Suburbs Melb. This guy is one of natures gifted healers from all accounts. He used to charge some paltry sum like five bucks. I believe he is still practicing

I think that is George you are talking about. We are actually taking the dogs out to see him tomorrow morning. He only charges $10 and is brilliant.

I take my dogs a few times a year because they can get quite knocked around in sheep yards and with the crazy running around and playing that they do. They usually dont show any signs but sometimes they might have something a bit out and he fixes it. He is great.

I think it is best to have dogs checked out because we cant always tell there is something going on.

I've seen a mildly cowhocked pup straighten up a lot with some regular chiro.

I think you're talking about litte Polo :thumbsup: The difference one visit to the chiro made on him was just amazing!! I have no concerns about his hocks what so ever now.

My dogs are chiro'd regularly. Usually every 2-3 months, more often if I have concerns. I know my dogs well and can pick up things that vets are amazed that I notice, but sometimes the chiro does tell me things I wasn't aware of :laugh:

Edited by FHR

FHR:

I think you're talking about litte Polo :thumbsup:

Little Polo? :laugh:

The "little" dog that weighs four times as much as a mini P!!

Yep, it was Polly I was thinking of and I agree that the change has been remarkable. Apparently, and not surprisingly, birth can be quite hard on a pup.. our Chiro has done pups as young as few weeks. The other experience that our Chiro says that can be quite hard on a dog is a general anaesthetic.. if they get moved around while they're out, it can really put them out!

I recall Alan couldn't do too much with Twiggy though.. he's good but no miracle worker and an crumbly old whippet with spondylosis isn't going to be bouncing around after a visit to the chiro... more like a more an animated stagger. :)

Hey guys,

Interesting poll - so far all the people who have responded positively about regular visits have posted. Interested in the "other opinions" to. So those that only go for injury and the reason why they don't go more often.

I see chiropractic checks ups as preventative, not just curative.

Ditto.

IMO waiting for anything stymptomatic to appear is indicative that damage has occurred, and may well have been occurring over time. The longer something is wrong, the longer it takes to 'fix' and remain 'fixed'.

:laugh: ............. of course, I don't treat myself to the same luxury and only attend my own (human) chiro when something's wrong symptomatically. :thumbsup:

Funny you mention that Erny. Hmm part of my skepticism is that when I was about 12 so quite a while ago now mum was seeing a chiro for something and as part of it they had a "family" event. They were trying to say I'd have huge problems by the time I was like 16-17 (now nearly 26 and never suffered anything untoward). Mum figured it was a huge money making scheme for them and they would find a problem just for the sake of it. Not saying the dog world is any different but you can get some of my reluctance over the matter.

My two get checked every 6 to 8 weeks beginning about 6 months ago. Xena had a couple of small alignment issues the first time she went which were fixed then and there - has been fine since. If we hadn't fixed that at the time the vet/chiro felt it would have progressed to something a bit more sinister.

CK got his first check up and then promptly broke an elbow so we've been going back with him any way. :thumbsup:

They will continue to go while ever a. I can afford it and b. they are sporting dogs.

CK isn't yet, but best to start young IMO.

I have my five labradors checked from time to time. When one seems a little off, I take all.

Only problem is I do not really believe in chiros. I prefer physiotherapy, veterinary advice, and warm up exercises.

When my Ses had a mammary lump detected, I took her to a veterinary chiropractor as my normal vet had the day off. The vet chiro thought her back was out and the lump of no significance. Next day off to my own vet, who also performs chiropractic manipulations. Same diagnosis. Still not happy so off for a third opinion. Same diagnosis.

The lump enlarge alarmingly over the course of 10 days. Biopsies were taken. Metastatic carcinoma. Not for one minute do I blame the initial diagnosis but it certains makes me wonder how one dog who did not require further chiropractic treatment after each spinal manipulation, went to three with no benefit.

... you can get some of my reluctance over the matter.

I do understand Ness. I had not a very good experience with the first ever chiro I went to (for myself). It was many years before a friend was able to convince me to go to his. (I was always at physio's ..... problem was eased but never seemed to be fixed.)

The chiro I now have is excellent and isn't one for persistently trying to convince you that you need multiple visits. Sometimes I do ..... but most often I don't.

Same deal as for chiro's for dogs. You gotta find one that you can trust. Goes for everything though, I guess.

My doggies get chiro treatment when I think something's wrong and they get checkups if they haven't been in a while (6 - 12 months).

I love my chiro (and so do the dogs), he always explains what's wrong, what he's doing and gives lots of at-home things to help. He doesn't charge for an examination, only when he needs to do some adjusting.

I have seen another (regular chiro was away and dog was injured) who I really disliked. Didn't like the way he handled my dog, lack of information he gave me and then the exhorbident price!

You gotta find one that you can trust.

Yup. :thumbsup:

Guest Clover

I am one to only take them when something is wrong or if they have not been for quite some time :thumbsup:. This was a good reminder actually, must book them in for a check up asap.

Excellent question! We have a bloke here who charges very little and I'm told is very very good. Several dogs from club have been and I've often wondered if its worth going just as a maintenance/checkup thing. Will keep watching this thread with interest.