Sin Bin

These are issues that I think are relevant as to whether ecollars should be used

* Is there stress felt by dog while using ecollar that is not present when using other methods/tools

No. There is stress involved in any learning.

* Does dog shut down when ecollar is used

No. Not when the tool is used properly.

* Possibilities of transference (not sure if that is the right term) - dog thinking stim coming from something else

This can happen with high level stim use but unless one does it for days with low level stim, it doesn’t occur. And then only if the dog is not shown how to shut if off.

* Is dog working happily with the ecollar on

The dog should be just as happy when the Ecollar is on as when it's off.

If anyone answers these question differently, they're talking about abuse or misuse of the tool.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I took Diesel to an ecollar seminar by K9 Force. At first he seemed to be working OK, but then he shut down and got quite stressed, refused to work. I admit that conditions were not ideal for training (about 37 degrees celsius) and there were a lot of flies around that he didn't like - actually I think he started thinking that the stim was flies :D as he started getting hyper sensitive to any flies around. Probably some was my fault - my first time using an ecollar, unsure about using one, he probably would have been fine if it was someone more confident and experienced.

I took Diesel to an ecollar seminar by K9 Force. At first he seemed to be working OK, but then he shut down and got quite stressed, refused to work. I admit that conditions were not ideal for training (about 37 degrees celsius) and there were a lot of flies around that he didn't like - actually I think he started thinking that the stim was flies :thumbsup: as he started getting hyper sensitive to any flies around. Probably some was my fault - my first time using an ecollar, unsure about using one, he probably would have been fine if it was someone more confident and experienced.

I would never use one, couldn't use one, on my dogs. Thats a personal decision though and if others decide to use them then thats their choice.

That's the only time I've used one - not confident enough in their use to use one generallly. Would certainly need a few more lessons (for me) first before I would try on my own if I decided that was the way to go.

There will always be debates about training tools and training methods, each with their own devoted supporters and fan clubs. Personally I feel that in order to make a true judgement about a particular tool or method one must put all emotions aside. Knowledge is power they say but experience enables you to rule the world. Am I making sense??? Sorry feeling a little under the weather at the moment but this thread (and the "other") has me intrigued.

Edited coz I would have received a warning from Troy........

Edited by Kelpie-i