Training In The Rain?

56 members have voted

1. 1. Will you/Do you train in the rain?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes/Depends
    • Other

Guest rhapsodical78

I've never really had the opportunity to train in heavy rain (at the club, that is). I'd like to give it a shot just to see how Onyx takes it. The kid in me thinks it could be kind of fun.

Guest Piximatosis

Neither of the clubs I train with hold training in wet weather - even if it rained 2 days ago and the ground is still wet - because the dumb councils close the grounds :whiteflag:

I train and walk them in the rain at home with coats on, or we practice attention or stays in the kitchen instead!

Not so much these days but in years gone by I would get the dogs out and train them in all kinds of weather..... even when it was blowing a gale with driving horizontal rain .....but these days I think bugger that ,not doing that anymore....so we now train only in nicer weather conditions.

Nope i wont trial in the rain so why bother training in the rain?

If its light showers and i am already out there i will continue for awhile but other then that no way :whiteflag:

One dog hates rain, and looks miserable if he has to be out in it, the other not really sure he would be alot better though in the rain.

Edited by tollersowned

For obedience - showers yes, heavy rain no way. I hate getting wet :o

Won't do agility in the wet at all, jumpings not so bad but if general conditions are bad I'll pull out for my dogs safety.

Funnily enough Darcy packs it in if its raining at obedience, but take her out for a walk in it when its twice as heavy and she's as happy as - maybe she's trying to tell me something :whiteflag:

Great question! I often wonder if I'm the only nut training! I don't go to obedience if wet ( no drops/sits ) or minus degrees ( Me!!)

I went to agility training on Sunday and have to drive 1hr plus. I left in sunshine and arrived in drizzle. We did a little training but I'd left coats behind and while I worked one dog the other looked miserable.

I make allowances as they are both beginners and neither will do the tunnels in the wet! Our trainers have theirs out in all the time so water in the tunnel is possible. So I don't ask if it is clear they won't go through. Normally they shoot thru. I asked one on Sunday and she did it but she needed incouragement ( read bribery !). So I thought that it is better not to go there.

Mine are little so they are esay to dry off!

I must admit...i hate training in the rain. I have done so in the past - but don't like it much...tend to have problems with colds during or after - not to mention Wet Dog Syndrome!

Training might be on tonight (Southsiders? any going?) - but i haven't decided if i will go...lol. I thought about using the dryzabone coats for me and the dogs...but the dogs will already be wet and covered in mud after playing about all day...so i'm not sure i even want them in my car! :whiteflag:

But anyway...do you or will you train in the rain?

I would but... Well.. You see...

Zachariah doesn't -like- the rain!

Anything heavier than a light drizzle and he instantly tries to run for cover or jump onto my lap! :o

Well Kitkat guess who went to training tonight :D not a kitkat to be seen anywhere actually their were 5 of us their :thumbsup:

:confused: Well it was wet on the way home, wet after shopping, wet when we got home...so i decided i wasn't going out in it again!

How was training? didn't get too wet?

I voted yes, as retrieving trials are held in the rain. If there is thunder/lightning, I cease training.

Nearly every training session includes water water, so I am always wet. Summer........its great when the dogs shake off excess water, cools me down rather well. In winter........eeck.

I trialled in the middle of a thunder storm once. I would have thought that they would have suspended competition while the worst of the lighting going. It was the old Jimboomba club grounds.. The oval had a lovely layer of water over it.. And I had the judge/steward following behind me with a golf umbrella (you know the oness large metal spike at tip)... That is not to mention the steel stakes driven into the ground to mark the ring..

In saying that, with another dog, I got my CD title on 192 in the middle of a thunderstorm. This club actually suspended competition for the cell to pass. It unnerved a number of dogs.. but we did well..

Used to compete/train with the horses in the rain.. Mostly I am over it. I hate being cold and wet.. stuff the dog.. :D

I am back on the northside.. Trundled down to training last night... few spots on way down, but fortunately no rain.

I voted sometimes because it really does depend on my mood! I was feeling generous yesterday and took the girl out for a walk and to do some training in the rain and that awful wind that we have here in brissy at the moment - I've never worked her in the rain before and she worked really well... no missed drops or anything! In the past if it was raining while I was at training I would just keep training - good practice for the dogs... these days I don't go to a training club so if I don't feel like getting wet then we don't go out!!! :-) But I do try to train in most weather for practice as you never know what the weather will be like at a trial!!