Hand Signals For Ccd

I've searched past threads but cant really find what I want, so ....

What hand signals to people use for distance work in trialling? I dont like any of mine! My sit and drop hand signals (which are pretty much just what I came up with in beginners classes) are in front of my body and I dont think my dogs can see them very well from a distance. My stand signal is just plain wierd as I try to copy the same signal I give during heel work and end up looking like I am rap dancing :rofl: . They are also quite exaggerated movements, and I was told in a CCd trial (my first!) that my hand signals were not appropriate.

I'm happy with the ones I use when we are heeling, so would like advice on what to use for distance work for drop, sit and stand.

Thanks in advance.

(ps I did view the youtube vid posted by a member, but as it is taken side on I cant see what the sit and down hand signals are

)

pps working out these hand signals is my 'homework' for novice class this week. As is walking in a straight line but we wont go there :worship:

ETA I've also looked at the deaf dogs site that was recommended in a few threads, but the 'sit' command is the same as I am using (and want to change) and I cant for the life of me work out what the stand command is - it looks like I need to get my hand reattached backwards first :laugh::eek:

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...hl=hand+signals

Edited by BittyMooPeeb

Hi BMP

Sit has no hand signal, stand usually left palm waved in front of dog horizontally, (I use right), drop right palm facing dog in downward chopping motion (no closer than about 30cm in front of dogs snout.

When using signals at distance, (like recall) use one that changes your whole body's silhouette, so the dog can clearly see it. ie hands and arms outside of your bodyline.

Have a look in the video section in photos. There are lots of Obedience Routines posted there that you can check out different peoples signals. Sit is an Auto cue unless it's for the signal exercies and that's not until Open level so don't stress.

In Sally's youtube clip that you posted, towards the end you can see Sally give some very nice signals for stand, stay, drop, sit and come. Also that youtube clip is Ness training for Open, she already has her Open title.

That clip is actually Ness training for UD. Here are a few links for the change of positions exercise from the last 4 trials we have entered. That is an Open change of positions with a drop, sit, come, finish with both verbal and signal.

There is another one up there which she goofed because I tried to do it as a signals only version since she had already failed another exercise but she missed the drop.

Edited by ness

There are no distance exercises in CCD except the recall so at this stage I wouldn't be too worried about them.

I'm left handed so I break all the signaling rules by using my left hand for all of my visual cues. Annoys the hell out of seasoned triallers. :thumbsup:

I train out at CDC and will be instructing on Thursday evenings so I could arrange to meet you out there one night and go through so signals with you if you like.

I wont be out there this Thursday cos we're taking our pack to the coast this week.

Cheers

Bear.

There are no distance exercises in CCD except the recall so at this stage I wouldn't be too worried about them.

I regularly practice distance handling at home, so would like to change my signals now, and have them sorted for my up-and-coming dogs too :thumbsup:

I train out at CDC and will be instructing on Thursday evenings so I could arrange to meet you out there one night and go through so signals with you if you like.

I have classes from 7.30 to 9.30 - if you've got an 8.30 class maybe we could meet at 9.30?

BMP, just a tip for whichever hand signals you choose, for CCD and all work :thumbsup: Choose the hand signal and start off big... exaggerated. Then as the dog learns it cut the signal back and back smaller and neater until you have it just the right neat size if you know what I mean. Take a look at others when you go to a trial. Take particular notice of Open competitors and also Signal in UD to see good ones. I am currently changing my drop on recall signal to a push forward flat palm in front of my body and as others say, try to make signals that change your body's sillhouette. My dog is quite advanced at signals but because I am working on one that is in FRONT of my body and not as obvious you'd be surprised how hard it is and the difference it makes. I just want this signal though, so am making life difficult for my dog LOL.

While heeling I use my left hand for all signals. Stops me twisting my body and pushing my dog out.

Heel (or close as I say) my arm straight down, with palm facing in the direction I'm walking and a quick push forward.

Stand - arm straight down, palm facing behind me and a slight wave outwards in front of my dogs face.

Drop - Arm straight down, flat palm facing ground, and a slight push towards the ground.

While heeling, I also hold the lead in my right hand, and have my left hand flat against my leg while I'm not signalling.

I'm happy with my signals as I'm straight, and upright, and there is no need for me to twist my body or lean over much at all.

I'm quite anal about "messy" handling, and I like things, short and sharp with minimal effort if that makes sense.

Just remember, you will need to retrain your dog to respond to any new signals you chose so make them very exaggerated to start off.

Good luck :)

That clip is actually Ness training for UD. Here are a few links for the change of positions exercise from the last 4 trials we have entered. That is an Open change of positions with a drop, sit, come, finish with both verbal and signal.

There is another one up there which she goofed because I tried to do it as a signals only version since she had already failed another exercise but she missed the drop.

:rolleyes:

Thanks - I started using the drop signal tonight. they picked it up very quicky.