How Much Food?

MDL

Hey guys

Just got some Eukanuba large Puppy for my Micky, Husky, we also feed him beef mince as well. I was just wondering on what your thought would be on how much we should be feeding him?

At the moment we bag the meat into 300 gram bags. I am feeding him one bag of meat and biscuits in the morning and meat at night. We also have a 10 year old staffy and she get's her meat at night.

On the Eukanuba bag it said about 3-4 cups per day (300grams) of biscus's. What would you think when you add meat as well?

i was going to go meat and 3/4 a small cup in the morning and 1-1 1/2 at night? I mean he clean this up today and is still hungry.

Also what's your thoughts on just pedregee biscuits as well since we are trying to feed both and puppy and a 10 year old.

MDL

I'm not sure exactly how much to add, but would start of with minimum, then add more as needed.

I fed strictly "by the packet" and actually underfed my dog for a couple of weeks. You have to feed according to how your dog looks. Yes, I know Huskies have a lot of coat so you may also need to feel the ribs- should be easy to feel with a light press of the flat of your hand. Too skinny and you can feel the back bones easily. Check him out thoroughly when he has a bath.

Many dogs stop when they've had enough- especially with the dry food, so I never measure it, but give the meat first, then dry and take away any leftovers to give at the next meal. Overfeeding is bad for growing large breed puppy bones, so if your pup's a piggy and is no longer lean, cut back the food for him.

Adult formulas are very similar to large breed puppy formulas- compare the packets. It's much easier to add a few supplements (if you're keen) to puppy's food than buy separate foods. This is what people did b4 there was such a thing as large breed puppy food.

I'm with you Scales of Justice - this does not sound balanced to me.

MDL I'd be feeding the kibble twice a day and perhaps supplementing with meat on the bone. Chicken wings or drumsticks added to the diet would provide valuable chewing exercise for a growing pup and the bone has the right calcium/phosphorus balance to assist growth.

However, if you are feeding a complete food, it should form the basis of your pup's diet.