Retriever Training: James Spencer's Books

I want to start retrieving training (for trials) with my golden retriever and I am looking into buying some books.

James Spencer's books look pretty good. I am looking at:

- RETRIEVER TRAINING DRILLS FOR MARKING

- RETRIEVER TRAINING DRILLS FOR BLIND RETRIEVES

- TRAINING RETRIEVERS FOR MARSHES & MEADOWS

- RETRIEVER TRAINING TESTS

Are they all complementary?

TRAINING RETRIEVERS FOR MARSHES & MEADOWS seems like a shortened version of RETRIEVER TRAINING DRILLS FOR MARKING and RETRIEVER TRAINING DRILLS FOR BLIND RETRIEVES. Is this the case?

Which ones would you recommend?

Are there any other books you can recommend?

Laffi, books have their place. After all, I have quite a library.

Have you been to a retriever trial yet? The reason I ask, is that from a practical sense, the books/theory may make more sense.

And remember there are many ways to skin a cat, not only the different methods.....but the exercises/concepts required to teach.

Thank you Lablover. I have seen a retrieving trial but wouldn't know how to start the training myself. :eek:

So how would you go about starting the training? And books, DVDs etc you could recommend, and the order to do it in?

Thank you Lablover. I have seen a retrieving trial but wouldn't know how to start the training myself. :eek:

So how would you go about starting the training? And books, DVDs etc you could recommend, and the order to do it in?

Eh?? I am sending you a few DVDs, on loan aren't I?

Thank you Lablover. I have seen a retrieving trial but wouldn't know how to start the training myself. ;)

:eek::mad :mad yes you are! I will ask more questions once I watch them :mad

Laffi's retrieving carrier is in your hands :o:(

Edited by laffi

Thank you Lablover. I have seen a retrieving trial but wouldn't know how to start the training myself. ;)

:eek::mad :mad yes you are! I will ask more questions once I watch them :mad

Laffi's retrieving carrier is in your hands :o:(

Do the work and you will be way in front. When I first started there was very limited training material available. We (and more importantly the dogs) are blessed nowadays. Welcome to the world of (retrieving) madness - and fun.

Hi laffi,

LL is right on the money when she says its better to see and then read, not the other way around.

To answer you original question in relation to J Spencer's books; for you I would recommend Training Retrievers For Marshes and Meadows as a start. It talks about raising and training your retriever right from the first day it arrives through to advanced work. The drills books are more advanced than what you'd be needing for a fair while.

LL, I've ordered Carol Cassity's drill book - counting down the days until it arrives!

Edited by Tangwyn