Are Anchovies Ok To Feed?

Why do you want to feed anchovies?

Sardines are much cheaper and it's the oil in them that is beneficial!

I feed my boys sardines once or twice a week - just a tin each (they are goldies).

Don't know about anchovies except that they are very salty. I'd save them for my Caesar salad! :laugh:

Edited by Duncan+Dougal

Like others, fish are good, but I'd be concerned about the salt if you feed enough of them. Also about the price.

Strong smelling, oily little bait fish -- eg mullies -- are even better. You can get them frozen for a relatively cheap price.

i would say yes, it would be okay to feed your dog anchovies, but only in very very VERY minimal amounts.

Some premium foods to have anchovies as an added ingredient, but I always assumed this was so include the 'salt' aspect, without adding processed salt product.

I agree that if you want to feed fish to your pets, go sardines in spring water - that is what we feed our Rotti.

Twice weekly he gets Sardines, and on the days he does, we don't give him any fish oil supplements. We give those on 'other' days.

he loves them, they are A LOT cheaper, and you get more substance for your money.

Plus, salt isn't good for your dog in large amounts.

He/she should get enough from the dry food that you feed them (if it is a complete food).

Dogs don't need salt added for flavour like us .... so most likely they prefer the larger chunks of sardine etc, than a smidgen of salty taste ...