Clever Collar

I have a leather half check. If you're interested in stocking them I have one issue with the one that I have that you might like to consider.

The chain in it is cheap. Sometimes with the cheap chains the links are shaped slightly differently or are too big to slide easily. This means that it takes more effort to initiate the check and also the chain doesn't release as quickly. Doesn't give a clean check if you know what I mean and this affects timing....maybe only by a fraction of a second, but that can sometimes be important. A lot of martingales seem the same too.

It also doesn't seem to operate as nicely as a good quality martingale when its adjusted to sit up high on the neck....I don't know whether that is a design fault or just a reflection on the quality of the chain again.

Can PM you the name of the manufacturer if you like.

I have a leather half check. If you're interested in stocking them I have one issue with the one that I have that you might like to consider.

The chain in it is cheap. Sometimes with the cheap chains the links are shaped slightly differently or are too big to slide easily. This means that it takes more effort to initiate the check and also the chain doesn't release as quickly. Doesn't give a clean check if you know what I mean and this affects timing....maybe only by a fraction of a second, but that can sometimes be important. A lot of martingales seem the same too.

It also doesn't seem to operate as nicely as a good quality martingale when its adjusted to sit up high on the neck....I don't know whether that is a design fault or just a reflection on the quality of the chain again.

Can PM you the name of the manufacturer if you like.

Thanks Rom,would be interested in looking at it as well,does it have a buckle??

I have seen a sample, and played around with it and chose not to buy one.

The reason being, they are a lot of fiddling and adjusting when going from one collar to the other.

It is just not suitable for what I do, but others may find them OK if they dont mind, swapping, adjusting etc every time you need to use it for a different purpose.

Mine dont have collars on at home so I just find it easier to quickly put on the limited slip over their heards, or martingale on Vinnie "Mr Stubborn" :)

Thats the beauty of the Clever Collar you do not need to put on or take off collars, u say ur dogs do not wear a collar at home what if they sould get out... accidents do happen heaven forbid.

I dont like collars, especially on my BC as it splits the hair around his neck, and they're inside when I'm not home so they cant get out, thank heavens :(

Maybe the person demonstrating them to us, was not doing it properly, as it had to be taken off and adjusted every time they wanted to use it as a limited slip, and then taken off and adjusted again when putting back to a standard collar.

This was at least a good 12 months ago, so they could've changed since then, or had no idea what they were doing.

I would say that the person was not demonstrating it as well as they could have, to shorten or lengthen the collar is as simple as tightening or loosening a normal collar. I have invited the Clever Collar people to join this forum so any questions can be directed and answered by them lest I get hated on as a seller for extolling their virtues. Oh by the way they also make the Clever Collar in leather.

I have seen a sample, and played around with it and chose not to buy one.

The reason being, they are a lot of fiddling and adjusting when going from one collar to the other.

It is just not suitable for what I do, but others may find them OK if they dont mind, swapping, adjusting etc every time you need to use it for a different purpose.

Mine dont have collars on at home so I just find it easier to quickly put on the limited slip over their heards, or martingale on Vinnie "Mr Stubborn" :laugh:

Thats the beauty of the Clever Collar you do not need to put on or take off collars, u say ur dogs do not wear a collar at home what if they sould get out... accidents do happen heaven forbid.

I dont like collars, especially on my BC as it splits the hair around his neck, and they're inside when I'm not home so they cant get out, thank heavens :laugh:

Maybe the person demonstrating them to us, was not doing it properly, as it had to be taken off and adjusted every time they wanted to use it as a limited slip, and then taken off and adjusted again when putting back to a standard collar.

This was at least a good 12 months ago, so they could've changed since then, or had no idea what they were doing.

I would say that the person was not demonstrating it as well as they could have, to shorten or lengthen the collar is as simple as tightening or loosening a normal collar. I have invited the Clever Collar people to join this forum so any questions can be directed and answered by them lest I get hated on as a seller for extolling their virtues. Oh by the way they also make the Clever Collar in leather.

Thanks Lidermar for your advise re this forum, I am able to answer any questions others may have in relation to the Clever Collar whether they relate to commercial enquiries or private use and I do so as the designer and manufacturer

Regards

Michael Garcia

Canine Solutions

Edited by caninesolutions

Hi Michael, thanks for joining.

Is there a reason why you use webbing in the 'correction loop' (I still don't know what that is really called!) rather than chain?

I really like the idea of a martingale set up with a buckle adjustment, but I'm curious as to the placement of the buckle. If we were talking a normal flat buckle collar, if the dog was pulling, because the D-ring is close to the buckle, the buckle is away from any area of pressure on the dogs throat, if you get what I mean. So I'm interested to know, if the Clever Collar is in correction mode, and the dog is pulling, approximately what area of the throat would the buckle be sitting near? For simplicity use a clock dial to describe with 12 o'clock being cervical vertebrae if you like.

I have visited your website but can't really work out from the pictures what I'm wondering about. :laugh:

Cheers

Hi Michael, thanks for joining.

Is there a reason why you use webbing in the 'correction loop' (I still don't know what that is really called!) rather than chain?

I really like the idea of a martingale set up with a buckle adjustment, but I'm curious as to the placement of the buckle. If we were talking a normal flat buckle collar, if the dog was pulling, because the D-ring is close to the buckle, the buckle is away from any area of pressure on the dogs throat, if you get what I mean. So I'm interested to know, if the Clever Collar is in correction mode, and the dog is pulling, approximately what area of the throat would the buckle be sitting near? For simplicity use a clock dial to describe with 12 o'clock being cervical vertebrae if you like.

I have visited your website but can't really work out from the pictures what I'm wondering about. :laugh:

Cheers

The buckle would be between approx 1 and 2 o'clock or at the side not on the throat area, the runner line setup including its mechanics, width and material are integral to the overall design and cost as well as differentiating itself from what people know as the martingale collar.

There is work being done on the use of other materials but this in the ealy stages of development.

Hope this helps

Edited by caninesolutions