Experts... In Here Please!

I was just curious about what the best way to react is when a strange dog comes running up to Chopper and he's on lead. It happened yesterday. The owner was calling her dog back. I could see it was a playful little thing, but I didn't want to risk Chopper grabbing it, so I held his muzzle and asked the lady to remove her dog as mine's not always friendly. It took her a while to catch it, but she did and then she left. No dramas. I don't care that it was off lead, as soon as she left I let Chopper off to throw the ball for him! [When that ball is being thrown he has a perfect recall and the park was empty, so don't flame!]

I've seen it said before to stand between your dog and the strange dog, but Chopper was jumping all over the place trying to get to the other dog. Not aggressively, just very excited and boisterous and I didn't know what the outcome would be if he got near. I was trying to get him to sit, but both dogs were jumping around the place trying to get to eachother. I realise that holding his muzzle was probably an awful thing to do, but what else would you suggest?

Its hard when you are put into that sort of situation....I would walk with treats in my pocket and keep his attention on you not the other dog, possible try and keep walking and keep a happy tone and talk to your dog, keep telling him that he is a "very good boy" and reward him with treats...You did the right thing by asking the lady to grab her dog and warning her that yours is not always friendly...

Or you can walk with a stick???

No flaming for having your dog off lead, if he is under effective control then there is no problem :(

Hmmm, dunno if walking a staffy x with a stick in my hand will do much to improve public misconceptions of the breed!! Treats are a good idea though. I thought about it afterwards and wondered why the hell I stopped in the first place?!! I should've kept walking, like you said. Cheers.

Hmmm, dunno if walking a staffy x with a stick in my hand will do much to improve public misconceptions of the breed!! Treats are a good idea though. I thought about it afterwards and wondered why the hell I stopped in the first place?!! I should've kept walking, like you said. Cheers.

Thats ok, basically you have to do what suits both you and the dog...treats and keep walking past talking to my dogs, works well for me too...

Good luck with it.......now you will be better prepared for next time :(

Because I know my two are fine with other dogs, I read the body language of the approaching dog and react accordingly. If I suspect at all that it may be a threat I will stand between my dogs and the approaching dog/s. My guys are usually very well behaved in public and will drop stay in this situation, if not I would simply hold them on a very short lead behind my back.

When I'm out with my dogs off lead I will usually use the drop stay anytime I see dogs or people approaching to give me time to assess the situation so they're used to it.

I was in a similar situation, but both dogs were excited on lead, trying to lunge toward each other. It was a real advantage to be able to get my dog to sit, stay- even if I did tilt him back into a sit a couple of times (8 months old, still learning). They're right next to you, so it isn't too hard an ask if they've had a little training. You can also ask them to "watch" you.

The other owner looks like a complete *ickhead with their dog going berserk while yours is sitting nicely. Very helpful, too, if people tend to be prejudiced against your breed (e.g. they'd blame your dog for any fight, no matter if another dog was at fault).

I reckon whatever it takes, so that your dog doesn't get in to a bad situation with another dog. He can't bite with your hand around his muzzle, so that wasn't so bad. I'd work on a sit. Use treats and practice with some training at home. Classes would be even better.

No joy to anyone if you're technically in the right, but a dog is injured (yours or theirs).

We go to classes :eek:

Chopper took to obedience really well. When we get back from holidays [and have moved house!], I'm going to put more time into training with him. He's so eager to learn, it's great! Heaps of people who met him when we first got him and meet him again now say that he's calmed down heaps. Maybe with time and more effort he can show everyone what a great little dog he is. And I won't have to put my hand around his muzzle when a strange dog comes running towards him!

I'm not an expert, but I've struggled with the same problem for years, so hopefully can help a little. There's really nothing worse than walking your aggressive or reactive dog down the street (responsibly on leash!) and being accosted by some offleash uncontrolled "friendly" dog, and having to try to deal with the whole situation so no one gets hurt or stressed. :eek:

A lot of people will say "get your dog to sit behind you while you ward off the other dog", but IMO that's sometimes easier said than done. Asking your dog to sit or down stay so that you can ward off the other dogs is IMO only a good idea as long as you are sure he will be able to hold the stay and you are sure you can chase off the other dog before it reaches him.

Most aggressive dogs can't hold a stay when confronted with offleash dogs - it's simply too exciting or too stressful for them. And of course, if you're not sure you can prevent the other dog from reaching your dog, then the last thing you want to do is order your dog to sit or down. Insisting your dog holds a submissive position while the strange dog gets in his face is going to stress him out, which is not what you want to do, since it will possibly make the problem far worse.

Best thing I've found to do when confronted with a friendly but uncontrolled dog is to tell your dog to "heel" and walk briskly in the opposite direction. Keep his attention on you and off the other dog, if necessary by baiting him with treats, toys (unless these are triggers for aggression when around other dogs), verbal praise or punishment, or with gentle collar pops (not hard enough to hurt or upset him, just as a behavioural disrupter). Walking very briskly will help keep his attention on you instead of on the other dog. Walking very quickly also means that the other dog will generally be sniffing your dog's butt and hindquarters instead of his face, which many aggressive dogs find easier to handle.

Don't stop walking until the other dog gives up following you or the other owner manages to collect their dog. If they get pissy about having to run halfway down the street to catch up with you, who cares? Perhaps they'll think twice next time about letting their uncontrolled dog offleash.

Then when you are a sufficient distance away, release your dog and reward, reward, reward him for his heeling with a very special toy or food. :cry:

This morning I was at the park throwing the ball for Chopper when I saw a look in his eye that told me there was a dog running up behind me. I looked around and there was the oodle from the other day running straight for us. I kept talking to Chopper and got him to give me the ball and I just kept throwing it for him while the fluffy ran around the park with him. It was such a great moment for me. It showed me how far Chopper has come with accepting other dogs. Especially smaller ones. A few times the other dog got the ball, but she was submissive and let Chopper grab it out of her mouth and run off. A few times she ran right into him by accident, but he wasn't bothered, just kept bringing the ball back for me to throw. I'm so happy. I think he's finally starting to learn that it's ok to be around other dogs :)

On a side note... I asked the lady what her dog was and she said it was a schnoodle and they got it from a "breeder" in Victoria. It had a really sweet personality, but my god, it was far from pretty. Dunno why anyone would have crossed those two breeds in the first place???

Hi Ruth ;) Great news about your house :)

AmhailteBest thing I've found to do when confronted with a friendly but uncontrolled dog is to tell your dog to "heel" and walk briskly in the opposite direction. Keep his attention on you and off the other dog, if necessary by baiting him with treats, toys (unless these are triggers for aggression when around other dogs), verbal praise or punishment, or with gentle collar pops (not hard enough to hurt or upset him, just as a behavioural disrupter). Walking very briskly will help keep his attention on you instead of on the other dog. Walking very quickly also means that the other dog will generally be sniffing your dog's butt and hindquarters instead of his face, which many aggressive dogs find easier to handle.

I've recently started using this training method with my dogs, especially with Chopper who has DA issues.If I see another dog on or offleash I just keep walking at my fast pace with him by my side and I don't tense up or get nervous about the other dog as he would pick up on that energy.If he so much as puts his head up or his body goes stiff in an aggressive manner, I give him a quick jerk on his choke chain to correct the behaviour and to snap him out of it.After only a week of training he is already showing great signs of improvement :rofl:

This morning I was at the park throwing the ball for Chopper when I saw a look in his eye that told me there was a dog running up behind me. I looked around and there was the oodle from the other day running straight for us. I kept talking to Chopper and got him to give me the ball and I just kept throwing it for him while the fluffy ran around the park with him. It was such a great moment for me. It showed me how far Chopper has come with accepting other dogs. Especially smaller ones. A few times the other dog got the ball, but she was submissive and let Chopper grab it out of her mouth and run off. A few times she ran right into him by accident, but he wasn't bothered, just kept bringing the ball back for me to throw. I'm so happy. I think he's finally starting to learn that it's ok to be around other dogs :hug:

Wow what a great step forward!! :hug:

Give Choppy a treat for me :)

On a side note... I asked the lady what her dog was and she said it was a schnoodle and they got it from a "breeder" in Victoria. It had a really sweet personality, but my god, it was far from pretty. Dunno why anyone would have crossed those two breeds in the first place???

Mystery, $? :hug: . High maintenance- think of poodle, but worse to groom :) .

I get grief from some oodles owners for having poodles- they think their cross is better :hug:. Snobs. They're "so intelligent" is a favourite, while their dog runs around like a crazy thing :rofl: .

Glad he's doing well. Keep up the good work :) .