Pack Heirarchy In Dogs

To throw another spanner into the works, i found an article i had in my folder about Indian wolves being the oldest and also being put under its own species:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/3804817.stm

and this one:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/400699.cms

Particularly this passage:

Genetic studies by scientists in Hyderabad have revealed that Indian wolves are not only the most ancient among wolf populations in the world but also that India is the centre of origin of these animals.

Yet another species the newly domesticated dog could have intebred with.

Don't let you're head explode :laugh:

Edited by Gottalovealab

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But as there was one huge land mass...then the early wolves would have done as they do now...range for new territories and adapted to suit the new territories over time - but of course with much more space to do so. So it's not outside the realm of possibility that the Indian wolves were the base for other types of wolf?

Recent studies suggest not, KK. I have a book here "Wolves, Behaviour, Ecology and Conservation" (Very comprehensive book, one i reccommed for any wolf lover). There is a section dedicated to the origins of the wolf. After re-reading last night, scientists seem to theorise that the origin of modern day wolves came from Canis Lepophagus (North American canide species at that time about 2.5 million years ago) which spread over Eurasier, where another primative Canis species was found (Canis Arnensis). From these it is theorised that the first wolves were to come from and there is a list of about 5 or 6 ancient Canis species, spanning throughout time before we get to the wolves of today (ie, red, grey)

What i am trying to get at is, the first "definate" wolves we're found to be during the Late Blancan period ( 1.8- 2.5 M years ago) Long before the earliest Indian Wolf fossils are recorded.

Edited because my time line didn't make sense

Edited by Gottalovealab

They are not suggesting that the Indian Wolf is the base, they are saying it has branched off into another species seperate of our modern day wolves, but still from a same common ancestor (if that makes sense).

ETA as said in this passage here:

According to the CCMB team, the Indian wolves "migrated to India about one to two million years ago and underwent independent evolution without contamination from other wolf like canines," and therefore "deserve to be declared as new species or sub-species."

It is very interesting reading, but so confusing :eek:

Edited by Gottalovealab

I believe there is a pack order with my dogs :eek:

Alphas = Myself and my boyfriend. I believe that because we're different genders we've become the female and male alphas in the pack :eek: I think though in my staffies eyes, as the one who brought him up and the one he's known longest, I'm the alpha over my boyfriend.

Next in line = My staffy, Zach. I believe this is because he is the eldest of our two dogs. (Zach is 5 years, Kapo is 8 months) Also I think it's because of his breed. Kapo is a Siberian Husky, a small and light one. Zach is a very big, SOLID, brick of a dog. Kapo has no hope of pinning him down and assuming a dominant stance with him. Zach also is so used to being a single dog I think he has just kept the attitude of having first place! :cry:

Last in line = Kapo. For reasons above, and also I believe that she may have been the runt of her litter. She's very small for her breed, and she's always been a pretty quiet girl, well, except when she's bugging the hell out of Zach! :rofl: She's the kind of dog who loves to just watch the world go buy, and I don't think she has any inclination to oust Zach from his spot of 'next top dog after the alphas'.

Here's an interesting twist on the pack hierarchy thing. Only the alpha pair have breeding rights....I'm single at the moment and not engaging in any 'breeding' activities :eek: So, if I were to mate my girl, would she see that as an elevation in her rank in the pack? :tongue in cheek icon: