Stopping Four Dogs From Pulling

My OH is backing you up completely on your method Pax.My problem is I just have to not feel so sorry for them if they don't get a walk. I'm such a sucker for those puppy eyes :thumbsup:

So if they do pull us out and we end up dragging them back inside how long do we wait before trying it again? Hour or two, next day?

No! As soon as you go inside you can try again. Remember they really, really want to go, so just getting marched back inside is enough to punish them. Have them sit quietly (one at a time) and start again. You can repeat it for as long and until they get it, or your patience runs out. If it was me I would do it until......... they got it right, but give yourself plenty of time and don't be in a rush for first few times.

Anything your dog wants you can use to your advantage, you just need to teach the dog the rules and how to get what it is he wants.

My 2 were pulling, so we just stopped and turned around. Once they realised what was actually expected of them they learned really quickly. They still sometimes (well nearly every time to be honest :rofl: we are all still learning) forget the rules and pull. A quick stop usually reminds them, if it doesnt, I turn around and head for home, thats usually enough to remind them, theres nothing worse than going for a walk and having to stop and turn round every minute to see why mum and dad have stopped walking. They soon get sick of it, as I said, once they realise what it is you are actually asking them to do.

BTW I did them one at a time which was easier. it was also more convenient as Ellie was confined to rest anyhow so her walks were severly restricted.

Good luck, I really enjoy the feeling of walking with 2 dogs :thumbsup: having 4 of them to walk must be fantastic :mad

i was walking 4 bloodhounds at a time,but 2 were pullers,so i did individual training until each was no longer pulling.it is simple,when they pull,you stop.it might take 1/2 hr to walk 50 mts but they soon realise that if they rush ,they go nowhere.i did use head halters on the 2 girls while training,but it is not a quick fix-they are meant to be used along with training.

Centitout,

:rofl: I can't post in the Breeders section but I wanted to say how lovely your pups are. I wish I could steal some puppy love. I have never met a Bloodhound in the flesh and would love too.

They look in such excellent condition, you have done a great job with so many pups. :thumbsup:

I know exactly how you feel. Me and OH did that with that with our four until I couldnt stand it any longer. It became so unpleasant.

Up until recently I would take one dog OH another and walk around the block in different directions and meet up and by that time it wasnt so bad. I was also using a prong on maxi (actually walked him on his own for quite a few months while training with the prong) and then gradually introduced lara who's not a puller. After a few weeks of this I could actually walk lara and maxi together from start to go which was really good.

Good luck

Mel

Awww I love your doggies Pitchick :mad

Well the training is going really well on the walks and already there's a huge difference in how much they pull.I even had a lady comment on how well behaved my dogs are while her OH was trying to put their out of control, barking, growling dog back on a lead.Mags and Chopper stayed right by my side and we continued walking :mad:mad

I'm such a proud mummy :(