Can Metacam Cause Seizures?

I have a 15yr old who unfortunately has had a bit of a fall and hurt her leg so for the past 3 nights I have been giving her some Metacam. The first night she was acting very oddly about 5 minutes after I gave her the meds, galloping round the house, the second night she had what I now recognize as a focal seizure within a minute of getting the meds. I thought I may have hurt her neck giving her the medication which caused her to act oddly so tonight I mixed it with her food, ful grand mal seizure.

I rang the on call vet who tells me nothing he can do, ride it out(cow vet again!) Fortunately she has now completely recovered and apart from once again galloping round the lounge on her crook leg for a while she is fine, she is resting comfortably at my feet. Cow vet says no Metacam doesn’t cause seizures but it seems to much like co-incidence to me. I will of course be visiting my own vet in the morning

Hi cownanbree

I have a bottle here with the insert sheet.

Side effects

Typical adverse reactions of NSAIDS may occur (particularly within the first 5- 14 days of treatment) These may include loss of appetite, diarrohea,faecal occult blood and apathy. Gastro Intestinal side effects are in most cases transient and disappear following termination of treatment but in rare cases may be serious. If gastro intestinal side effects are persistent or of severity treatment should be discontinued.

Contraindications

The use of the product is contra indicated in animals suffering from cardiac, hepatic or clinical renal disease.

This is also the case where there is the possibilities of gastro intestinal ulceration or bleeding or where there is evidence of a haemorrhagic disorder or individual hypersensitivity to the product.

Hope that helps you!!

My young girl who is on Metacam goes stupid after a while. She obviously feels a whole lot better without the pain. Wants to jump and run around. Mind you she also does a bit of it when she gets taken out for her walks 4 times a day but the last walk of the night is the worst as she is full of the joys of spring. Tra la!!!

Edited by wylie

Hmm it doesn’t mention seizures. Am sitting here staring at her, too scared to leave her to go to bed. I can see it being a long night. She seems ok now but I would hate that to happen again and for me not to be there. It was a full seizure with paddling and everything. Very scarey and I have to say the cow vet was no help at all. He was not the slightest bit interested in getting out of his warm bed to see my girl

Cowanbree

I just did a google on Metacam and Seizures and come up with this

In the event of overdose

Contact your veterinarian or veterinary emergency room. Symptoms of overdose may include vomiting, diarrhea, blood in the stool, increased thirst and urination, incoordination, seizures or behavioral changes.

What dose did you give your old girl??

Some more info from the makers of Metacam

Adverse Effects: The safety profile of meloxicam has been evaluated in well controlled target animal safety studies in the dog. Dogs treated with placebo, 1X, 3X and 5X label dosages were closely monitored over a 180 day (26 weeks) period. The study determined that there were no drug related adverse effects on clinical observations, normal body weight gain, food consumption, physical and ophthalmic examinations, clotting times, mucosal bleeding times or on a panel of clinical pathology parameters monitored throughout the study.

Postmarketing reports of suspected adverse drug reactions (SADRs) following field use of Metacam® (meloxicam) have been monitored worldwide since 1995.

Based on case reports received under a voluntary reporting system by veterinarians or pet owners/caregivers, the most important affected body system was the gastrointestinal tract followed in decreasing order by central nervous system/behavioural signs, renal and dermatological system. Case reports often did not provide sufficient information to establish cause of the signs observed. In most cases, adverse effects were transient and disappeared after termination of treatment. In rare cases however, death has been associated with some of these adverse reactions. The following suspected adverse effects have been reported:

Gastrointestinal: Vomiting, diarrhea, inappetence, melena, hematemesis, ulceration.

Central Nervous System/Behavioural: Ataxia, personality change, seizures, sleepiness, hyperactivity, depression, trembling.

Renal: Elevated creatinine and BUN, acute renal failure.

Dermatologic: Pruritus, eczema, focal alopecia, moist dermatitis (hot spots).

Hypersensitivity: Urticaria, allergic dermatitis.

Hematologic: Immune mediated hemolytic anemia, immune mediated thrombocytopenia.

Hepatic: Elevated liver enzymes, jaundice.

My girl who is on it gets to 17.5 on the plunger and she weighs over 18 kg. So its not an awful lot to give.

Hope things start looking up tonight for you and your girl.

I was a bit dubious about giving it at all as but in terms of pain management I did agree to use it. My girl has a severely broken foot that has a plate and 10 pins in and is currently in a cast with total crate rest.

A 20 month old Border Collie on total crate rest is an absolute nightmare.

Edited by wylie

I had my old dog on metacam for many months however it got to the point that it was no longer effective.

We then switched to Zubrin. You may want to ask your vet about it.

No adverse reactions to either medication, by the way.

A double dose of Metacam is used when a Shar Pei is having a FSF attack

I gave a double dose to a foster girl and she had a seisure, not a good thing

So yes I have heard of it, vet told me it was because I gave a double dose, but we had no choice

Unfortunately not too sure what has caused it. Kell has had 2 more seizures since I stopped giving her Metacam. Whether that is an after affect of the Metacam or something else I don’t really know. The vet thinks it is unlikely it was the Metacam but hasn’t ruled it out. Ultimately given her age it doesn’t really matter but seems rather strange that the first 3 times she had a seizure was within minutes of having it.

I have started her on Phenobarb today and will have to see what happens. She is so elderly and frail I won’t allow her to continue seizuring, if I can’t control it I will be forced to have her pts which is very sad. I have owned her since she was 8 weeks old, nursed her through pyo and breast cancer and she deserves better than this

Peibe, did your foster recover or have any more than the one seizure?