Veterinary Behaviourist Vs Behavioural Trainer

If I can also pose a further question......

Vet behaviourist = x years of theory learning

Behavioural trainer = x years of practical learning

Which would you choose??

The problem with "x years of practical experience" is that the experience might not be in dealing with the type of problem that your dog has, and in that case if the practitioner doesn't have a solid theoretical background too, they aren't going to be able to treat (or possibly even identify) the problem that your dog has.

I've paid good money to behavioural trainers before, most assured me they could help me, but then gave me a "one size fits all" solution. E.g - one had had success using Jan Fennel type methods before, so she decided that my dog's aggression must be caused by him being "dominant" over me, and thought that if I got "dominant" over him then the dog aggression would be cured. Another had had success treating fear aggression, so she decided that contrary to appearance, deep down, my dog must really just be fearful, and when he got aggressive he needed reassurance and treats. :) Complete waste of money in both cases. They didn't have enough theoretical knowledge to work out what was going on, they just had one "pet" method that they stuck to because they had some success in the past with it. Experience without theoretical knowledge just isn't always that useful. It means you can only treat problems that you've experienced before - if you get presented with a totally new problem, you'll be lost.

I know good behavioural trainers and good veterinary behaviourists. All the good ones have a solid knowledge of dog training theory and years of experience. So personally I'd value references and word of mouth, plus actually talking to the trainer and seeing how much sense they make, over any type of qualification or any amount of "experience". :laugh:

I think it is extremely important to have both veterinary behaviourists and behavioural trainers for people to choose from. What I think one of the keys, would be for both sets of trainers to work better together in the industry. I do agree that some veterinary behaviourists do charge to much but so do some behavioural trainers. Going on word of mouth is not always a good thing be it for a vet behaviourist or behavioural trainer. I also agree it depends on ether's: qualifications, theoretical and practical ability and experience. However if there is a health issue then the vet wins in this case. I suppose the point I am trying to make is, lets be glad that we have the choice of which one to use rather than which one is better. Being able to choose is free.

From the sounds of it, it's pretty much a gamble each way.

As the old saying goes , "You get what you pay for" and personally if I had a dog with issues that I needed to see a behaviourist about , I would prefer to pay the extra and see someone like Dr. Robert Holmes ,who has years of practical experience, over a behavioural trainer who might have only had a few years of recent experience and who might have never been involved with dogs prior to their recent experience and training.

Tapferhund, whislt I respect Robert Holmes for his knowledge and many years experience in the field, on many occassions he has given the same advice/program to clients that trainers have also given. So in essence, the only difference here is about $300 of someone's hard-earned.

Am, great post as always :) ....IMO, the behaviourist (whichever you choose) should have solid knowledge of BOTH dog training and learning principles as well as sound knowledge on behaviour AND above all - their analysis should make sense. You should be able to see some improvement (or at least the first signs thereof) during the first consulation.

From a retrieving point of view I would go and have gone with the best in their field, BY PROVEN RESULTS.

These guys train 20 dogs a day for years. They show what clients (and their) dogs are capable of. Mind you......they do wash dogs they do not reach their standards, which at times I thought too early.

So, show me.........what the trainers dogs do, when the tail gate comes down. Those trainers are the ones I prefer.